just wondering if anyone knows??

1997SVTcobra

GET BORED
Jul 28, 2006
i did not know, I know nothing about them actually...
well here, Im looking at one with 120K they are selling it for 1000 bucks but the trans. is seized, thats the reason for selling, everything else is immaculate, interior exterior everything...and the engine is in great shape...
do you think it would end up being worth it/worth the hassle of buying and installing the transmission? you seem to know alot about them
:dunno:

03mineralg

[edit] Third generation SHO

1997 SHO
Third-generation SHO engineA 235 hp (175 kW) 3.4 L DOHC V8 was specified for the SHO model but the 5-speed manual transmission was deleted. The V8 in the SHO model (produced from 1996 to 1999) increased curb weight, and the lack of a manual transmission option meant the new SHO lacked the acceleration of the previous generation manual transmission cars, though its top speed of 144 mph (232 km/h) was higher and its cornering and braking were improved. These engines were assembled by Yamaha in Japan but more parts were made by Ford than in the earlier Yamaha-built V6.

Separation of the camshaft from its sprocket (components shared with at least one other Ford engine with significantly lower output) has been implicated in a growing number of catastrophic failures of this engine, at around the 50,000 mile (80,000 km) mark. The standard warranty on this model was 36,000 miles (58,000 km). This problem can be rectified by having the camshafts welded.[22]. This SHO model sold in lower numbers that the previous SHO generations, with sales peaking at 9,000 units in 1997. [23] As a result, Ford cut the SHO when redesigning the Taurus for its fourth generation.

[edit] Models

03mineralg

I looked up and copied an explanation of the problem so i didnt have to type it all, maybe the engine in the one your looking at is rebuilt or already or fixed? Or its still ticking :p I only know about the Taurus's because my dad had a few.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 1997SVTcobra
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list