Nitrous and gearing questions about 02 GT.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
sinnful_46534 said:
Looking to throw a dry kit back on my car. A few years back just had a 50 shot but what to know how much I can run without upgrading the fuel system. Car still has the warranty on it. And also curious on what rear gear to put in the car. It's a 5-speed with 3.27's in it now is 4.10's to much?

Funny you should ask this, yesterday i was tryin to decide on a gear too. My calculations are with a t45 not a t3650, not sure of the difference in ratios of these transmissions. With a 26 inch tire and a 4.10 gear 4th should top out at 113. With a 28 inch tire 4th would top out at 122. With a 26 inch street tire (same as 275/40r17 or 245/45r17) you would be cruising at 90 at around 3300 rpms with a 4.10 gear. I have decided that i want a 3.90 for mine. There is always a chance that teh gear/rpm calculator was incorrect, but it sounds about right. Also, you can run 100 shot safely.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
With a dry shot, tuning won't let you go with a bigger shot, but it will help overall performance. You'll just have to get injectors that are a tad bigger and the appropriate tune for the injectors, and upgrade the fuel pump. You may get by with just adding an inline pump, like a boost-a-pump, but may want to consider upgrading the in-tank pump as well.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Why not just run wet? Cheaper/quicker to tune or retune (jet) and you don't have to upgrade your injectors either so you would not even need a new PCM tune; unless your already running advance timing for higher octane fuel and would need to retard a degree or two of timing from there.

BAP on stocker pump will be able to support more than the 100 shot without problem. He can get away with a 100 shot on his stocker pump just fine too.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
sinnful_46534 said:
The reason I don't want to run a wet kit is the car still has 2 years and just over 20,000 miles left on the warranty. I can remove the dry kit without them ever knowing it was there. I did it in the past. And thanx for the rpm calculator it has answered a few of my questions.

A wetkit is just as easy to remove as a dry kit is. If your pulling your fuel from where the FRPS is on the FR's then just remove the two FRPS bolts and pull the fuel block out that you would have installed to pull the fuel for the wetkit for the nitrous from. Bolt the FRPS back onto the rail fitting itself and that is that. Very easy and very quick. It would maybe only add literally about an extra 10 minutes to the whole process, if that. The nozzle will fit into the intake just the same as the nozzle from a drykit would. As long as you are jetted correctly and are running a window switch (or other RPM windo device) then you will not run into fuel puddling issues either.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
rocket5979 said:
Why not just run wet? Cheaper/quicker to tune or retune (jet) and you don't have to upgrade your injectors either so you would not even need a new PCM tune; unless your already running advance timing for higher octane fuel and would need to retard a degree or two of timing from there.

BAP on stocker pump will be able to support more than the 100 shot without problem. He can get away with a 100 shot on his stocker pump just fine too.

Yeah, but with nitrous, when it comes to fuel, you can never be too safe. A $150 pump is cheap insurance.

I shoot my 175 shot with only a Walbro 255 lph in-tank, but it's a wet shot. I'm going to add an inline this spring.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
sinnful_46534 said:
Awesome guys thanx so much for the help. I know I shouldn't be concerned with the warranty. But damnit it is still there and I know something will happen to the car this spring. So can I blow a 150 wet shot through the car safely?

I'm sure the engine will handle it as long as the nitrous is tuned properly. With a 150 shot though, you will definitely want to upgrade the fuel pump, and should seriously consider the wet shot. 100 is about the biggest I would go dry.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Aron said:
Yeah, but with nitrous, when it comes to fuel, you can never be too safe. A $150 pump is cheap insurance.

I shoot my 175 shot with only a Walbro 255 lph in-tank, but it's a wet shot. I'm going to add an inline this spring.

If he is only running 100 shot then he doesn't need a fuel pump upgrade. He could go up to 125 shot before taking any real risk of maxxing his stocker fuel pump so 100 shot is just fine.

If he wants a little extra insurance then he can swap to a different pump to have an extra safety net. That decision comes down to personal preference at this point because either way is a fine choice, assuming he is only going with 100 shot and nothing more.

Aron, if your running a shot like that (or bigger) then why don't you just go to a dedicated nitrous fuel system? You already plan to get the pump for it, why not just get the small fuel cell, FPR, and lines too? That way you can run regular octane fuel in your big tank, which saves money, and run racegas in the cell so you can have more safety and power but only when you need it. If I ever do a bigger shot of the juice on one of my vehicles I plan to go to a dedicated fuel system for my nitrous system right away. When taking into account the amont of money people save when running racegas only when they need it that dedicated fuel system will end up paying itself off within one season if you hit the squeeze allot.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Aron said:
I'm sure the engine will handle it as long as the nitrous is tuned properly. With a 150 shot though, you will definitely want to upgrade the fuel pump, and should seriously consider the wet shot. 100 is about the biggest I would go dry.

+1

You would want to make sure that your tune is spot on and when going with that big of a shot there will be DEFINATE NEED to upgrade your stocker fuel pump. If I were you I would keep my shots to around 125 (rwhp rated) on your stock bottom end unless you have money for another bottom end. It may last one season, hell it may last a few seasons but I have also seen properly operated and properly setup nitrous systems kill a stock GT bottom end with 150 shots. The dilemma here is how much of a chance do you want to take, especially if it happens to be your DD.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
rocket5979 said:
If he is only running 100 shot then he doesn't need a fuel pump upgrade. He could go up to 125 shot before taking any real risk of maxxing his stocker fuel pump so 100 shot is just fine.

If he wants a little extra insurance then he can swap to a different pump to have an extra safety net. That decision comes down to personal preference at this point because either way is a fine choice, assuming he is only going with 100 shot and nothing more.

Aron, if your running a shot like that (or bigger) then why don't you just go to a dedicated nitrous fuel system? You already plan to get the pump for it, why not just get the small fuel cell, FPR, and lines too? That way you can run regular octane fuel in your big tank, which saves money, and run racegas in the cell so you can have more safety and power but only when you need it. If I ever do a bigger shot of the juice on one of my vehicles I plan to go to a dedicated fuel system for my nitrous system right away. When taking into account the amont of money people save when running racegas only when they need it that dedicated fuel system will end up paying itself off within one season if you hit the squeeze allot.

Right now, I run the spray on pump gas. We'll see what I'm going to have to do once my engine is together. I may need race fuel on the bottle, but I'm spending a lot of money to get the car running again. I probably won't have the funds to do a dedicated fuel system until at least later in the year.

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
Couple of my own Questions?

What is the HP rating for a 255lph pump? I know my 94' cobra stock fuel pump is rated around 450.

Also, I am running 93 octane in my 351 windsor with compression around 10.5:1 (so I have been told), will 93 octane support a 150 shot?

Is it true nitrous loves high compression? I know 10.5:1 is way too high to run a s/c or turbo set up so i am going with nitrous, and I have heard nitrous is great for higher compression engines.

MY PLANS: Put a 150 shot, wet, on my 351, then somewhere down the road when something breaks, build a 408 stroker with all forged internals and maybe up the nitrous, or switch to a s/c. TELL ME THAT AIN'T GONNA BE ONE MEAN S.O.B.? :headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info