Educate me: Small Block Chebby

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I was told that if we toss true duals on the truck (Or just ditch the cat and toss on a higher flowing muffler) it will increase its redline because its all vacuum actuated. (as in if you go full throttle it will go higher up in the RPM's before shifting than it does right now)

Is this right? Could someone link me to the stuff behind this as I'm kinda curious (this is a 1995 TBI 350/5.7)

My buddy is a sharp guy, and I've never doubted him (And I'm VERY un-educated when it comes to small block V-8's).

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
The 4L60E is used in all light truck applications from S10 to Astro to 1500's. I am unsure if the 2500 has a different trans.

I can also tell you the 4.3 is the same as a 350. it's essentially a 350 with the rear two cut off, same internals and all. totally irrelevant but cool piece of knowledge to have.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
4l60e and the 700 r4 were used on GM's light trucks, I believe it wasnt until 93 that they started using the 4l60e full time as opposed to a option with the CPI injection/4l60e

my 91 4.3 has a 700r4 as well as my 92 4.3.

you gotta run the RPO and vin to figure it out on some years but if your truck is newer then 94 model year you definetly have a 4l60e

no an exhaust will not raise your redline, thats on the camshaft.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The 4L60 is basically the same, internally, as a 700R4. It's a computer-controlled version of the 700R4.

From SuperChevy,
History of the L60-Series Transmission
Today's 4L65-E and 4L60-E transmissions trace their lineage to 1982 and the introduction of the 700R4, one of General Motors' first production automatic overdrive transmissions.

Two versions of the 700R4 appeared: one with a 60-degree bellhousing bolt pattern and another with a 90-degree bolt pattern. And though the advantages of lower cruising rpm and higher fuel economy were widely praised, the early 700R4s suffered from weaknesses that caused many to fail in even the lightest-duty applications.

By the '87 model year, the 700R4 had been internally upgraded and the problems that plagued earlier versions of the engine disappeared. In the '90s, the name changed to 4L60, reflecting GM's new nomenclature for all its transmissions--"4" for four-speed, "L" for longitudinal (rear-wheel drive), "60" denoting the torque capacity rating. (The "E" was added when the transmission was converted to electronic control.) The 700R4 and 4L60 are internally similar, including gearing.

The 4L60-E came along in the mid-'90s, and shortly thereafter its design was changed from a three-piece construction to a two-piece design. Currently, the L60 and L65 have a separate, 360-degree bellhousing, which completely encloses the torque converter. This was done to increase powertrain stiffness and reduce vibration.

The electronic versions of the transmission also use an electronically controlled capacity clutch, instead of a mechanical lock-up clutch. This design lets the computer decide on the necessary amount of slip, which maximizes fuel economy.

Nasty93

Nasty93
Oct 17, 2007
The Unit
a 700r4 is used on automatic 1993 LT1 camaros and is called a 4L60, in 1994 they started using the 4L60E same transmissions one is just electronic, thus the E. In no way will true duals give you a higher red line unless you have a clogged ass cat and your replacing that, and then it will just run "like its supposed to". True duals on something like that will probly kill all your low end TQ but make it feel a little better up top and probly rev faster.

s00ls in 2500s the 4L80E was also an option for transmissions.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what year is the truck? and why would you want a higher redline?

its a 95, And we don't really care about a higher redline, my buddy just made mention of it because we want to replace the muffler thats bigger than Kansas with a flowmaster for the sound, and he mentioned that a higher flowing exhaust with a vacuum actuated trans can cause it to rev a little higher.

4l60e and the 700 r4 were used on GM's light trucks, I believe it wasnt until 93 that they started using the 4l60e full time as opposed to a option with the CPI injection/4l60e

Yea, 93 was the magic year for the C/K's it looks like

Wikipedia "The 700R4 transmission was replaced with the 4L60-E automatic in 1993 also."

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
a 700r4 is used on automatic 1993 LT1 camaros and is called a 4L60, in 1994 they started using the 4L60E same transmissions one is just electronic, thus the E. In no way will true duals give you a higher red line unless you have a clogged ass cat and your replacing that, and then it will just run "like its supposed to". True duals on something like that will probly kill all your low end TQ but make it feel a little better up top and probly rev faster.

s00ls in 2500s the 4L80E was also an option for transmissions.

the stock 3 inch piping is in good shape, and it runs great, the muffler is just ungodly huge and the truck is quite, and we the sound of a smallblock with exhaust.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
just do it, probly lose a little TQ based on a little less back pressure but the sound will make you think you gained some :)

Yea, I'm not worried about loosing a bit of power, I just like the sound of the trucks out here and now that we have one I want it :p

May i suggest not using a muffler at all? You are in boony country so no one will care.

How bad is if it we pull off the cat also? (noise wise)

and to answer the question above, we have a 5.7.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Right there tells you its NOT vacuum actuated, the e is for ELECTRONIC.

But exhaust never hurts none the less

Yea, I know the E is for electronic, but I didn't know that until yesterday evening.

He was under the impression that it was the 700R4.

if it HAD a vacuum actuated 700R4, would exhaust have any impact on when the trans shifts? (Just out of curiosity)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info