Epic failure: Chevrolet Edition

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So our new truck had a slight whine in the front (which we were aware of and we were told we should 'eventually' replace that brake rotor/bearings)

started making some more noise just yesterday after the rain, and then failed today, Catastrophically, bearings let go, Drove the fucker home with a 30 degree camber on the front driver side tire.

$116 later its repaired, Boooooo. (Coulda been worse, and I give the truck mad props for DRIVING 3 miles home like that.)

So long story short -1 point for near crippling failure +1 point for truck crawling its way home with 30 degrees of camber.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So you drove the truck home on a crippling failure?? :dunno: Make up your mind.

Thats why I said -1 point, AND +1 point for GM in my book. (-1 for it 'crippling' the truck, +1 for it holding itself together to make it home)

and for a quarter of a million miles on it, AND it towed with a 5th wheel, AND its only a half-ton, I'm not crying over a $116 repair that has a lifetime warranty.

I wish I had taken pictures of it, but the ABS sensor is like half-way melted :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
What kind of T-Bird?? My buddy owned a 90 3.8 Tbird when we were in HS. Blew a headgasket and was billowing white smoke out of the exhaust. THAT was an epic failure.

Later on after the headgasket ordeal, a rod decided it did not want to be associated with the crank or piston anymore and escaped through the side of the block.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Your not crying, but posting a GM failure when you tote about your Fords and Honduhs never failing. Seems kinda odd to some. Just pointing that out.

My ford is not even 2 years old, the week it has a crippling failure, I will trade it in for a GTO, Mark my words.

and in all honesty, the only reason why things aren't breaking on the civic is because I've replaced like 80% of the car with new pieces.

It has new:

Drivetrain:
Motor
Trans
fuel pump
FPR
Axles
Brake calipers
Brake rotors
Brake Pads
Rear brake lines

Suspension:
Upper control arms
upper ball joints
lower ball joints
outer tie rod ends

Interior:
Cluster
Seats
shifter
Shiftlinkage
shiftknob
shifterbushings

Electrical:
Speakers
Headunit
ECU
turnsignals
random bulbs

the 20% I haven't replaced has failed, or is failing

including:

Rear Struts
rear lower control arm bushings
front lower control arm bushings
Tires/rims (had to put the fronts on the rear due to camber wear from all the worn bushings that we replaced.

I will give Chevy credit for making a damn-good half-ton truck so far.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't think that beats the time that Unclarry was driving my old T-Bird to school and it epically failed. Ball joint broke mid-turn, 90 degree toe-out problem on one wheel. Needless to say it wasn't driveable.

I admit to seeing many an accord/integra on the side of the road missing a wheel due to balljoint failures. (Infact this happened to matts integra)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
it was a 95 with the 4.6. That shit burned oil like it was nobodies business but that thing would keep running for like 250K miles as long as the trans held up, and I wasn't about to hold my breath. But yeah the 3.8's had a huge problem with blowing headgaskets. It is a very common problem. Usually you can pick one up really cheap with a blown headgasket, fix it in the driveway one afternoon and make a few hundred bucks. The fix is fairly easy with all the room in that engine bay.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
it was a 95 with the 4.6. That shit burned oil like it was nobodies business but that thing would keep running for like 250K miles as long as the trans held up, and I wasn't about to hold my breath. But yeah the 3.8's had a huge problem with blowing headgaskets. It is a very common problem. Usually you can pick one up really cheap with a blown headgasket, fix it in the driveway one afternoon and make a few hundred bucks. The fix is fairly easy with all the room in that engine bay.

So long as its the NA 3.8.

The supercoupes take like 13 hours to replace a headgasket on (Albeit they are sweet-ass cars)

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Hmm, I've never seen an Accord/ Integra on the side of the road due to cataclysmic ball joint failure.

now you have

DSCN0013.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Hmm, I've never seen an Accord/ Integra on the side of the road due to cataclysmic ball joint failure.

I've seen 3 cars with the failure matt just showed, 2 early 90's accord, and a 94-98 Integra. (one ate the wall on the I-88 overpass)

people like to neglect them like I neglected our wheel bearing, and they can rot out in the mid-west and snap.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
I've seen 3 cars with the failure matt just showed, 2 early 90's accord, and a 94-98 Integra. (one ate the wall on the I-88 overpass)

people like to neglect them like I neglected our wheel bearing, and they can rot out in the mid-west and snap.

actually its not the owners who neglect them its the manufacturers putting sealed parts on steering and suspension. The call em maintence free however with the lack of lubrication( yes the grease does wear out and break down leaving the knuckles dry) they dont last but 10 years tops.

Its a marketing gimick.

alot of it is quick lubes fault when they are greaseable.

Jiffy Lube sent me a nice check for the damage done to my old blazer. went in for a chassis lube and 3 weeks later when the ball joint snapped it was bone dry. That is an epic failure.

all maintenece free means is youll be spending more money later.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
actually its not the owners who neglect them its the manufacturers putting sealed parts on steering and suspension. The call em maintence free however with the lack of lubrication( yes the grease does wear out and break down leaving the knuckles dry) they dont last but 10 years tops.

Its a marketing gimick.

alot of it is quick lubes fault when they are greaseable.

Jiffy Lube sent me a nice check for the damage done to my old blazer. went in for a chassis lube and 3 weeks later when the ball joint snapped it was bone dry. That is an epic failure.

all maintenece free means is youll be spending more money later.

x fucking 2! i was putting on a tie rod on the stratus... NO WHERE in the manual does it say to grease the tie rod..... yet it has a nipple on the top for the grease, and the bushing sits flat when its not suppose to when you tighten it.... it definatly needs grease to be usefull

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info