silvergtrad.... u know this guy?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Martinez%20Engine%201.jpg

Intake going RIGHT over the exhaust manifold without heat shielding FTL

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/99-04 Grand Am.htm

Here's the website that it was from, IDK about you guys but I don't think I would buy a turbo system that....
A. Packages their intake tube within an inch of the exhaust
B. Claims the GA is rear wheel drive.....
Stock = 144 rwhp 164 rwtq
HP Stage I kit = 220 rwhp 255 rwtq @ 5 psi
HP Stage I kit = 264 rwhp and 284 rwtq @ 9 psi
120 rwhp increase @ 9 psi
:rollpicard:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Martinez%20Engine%201.jpg

Intake going RIGHT over the exhaust manifold without heat shielding FTL

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/99-04 Grand Am.htm

Here's the website that it was from, IDK about you guys but I don't think I would buy a turbo system that....
A. Packages their intake tube within an inch of the exhaust
B. Claims the GA is rear wheel drive.....

:rollpicard:

....my intake tube will be within 3 inches of the exhaust housing on my turbo...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Will you be using heat shielding? Its kinda nature of the beast it looks like.

exactly... unless i go to an f-body intake manifold which is a beast i dont really feel like taming... its gonna have to be like that... but there are plenty of cars in the 11s similar and a few in the tens... that are making it work.

as for using heat shielding... possibly. if so, a turbo blanket.

Last edited:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah it just looks like the picture has NO shielding, whatsoever. I mean how much help is the IC if you are just running the intake tube right over the turbo after the IC.

um, alot?

Both pipes are clearly thermal coated...

The amount of heat transferred between those two pipes, versus the amount of heat rejected by an intercooler are like comparing the fart I just ripped with the massive dump I took earlier...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The only thing I'm saying is general common sense. If I don't want to melt my ice cream I won't leave it in my hand. It probably has some sort of thermal insulation, but from what it looks like not enough for my liking. Generally if I'm looking to boost a motor that wasn't boosted before I would say keeping intake air temps down would be a fairly high priority.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
The only thing I'm saying is general common sense. If I don't want to melt my ice cream I won't leave it in my hand. It probably has some sort of thermal insulation, but from what it looks like not enough for my liking. Generally if I'm looking to boost a motor that wasn't boosted before I would say keeping intake air temps down would be a fairly high priority.

I'm taking away that fucking ice cream, your hands are getting to sticky.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

You are foolish to say the least.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007

so, do you suggest that they just beam the intake charge from the intercooler to the throttle body?

How the fuck else are they going to make it work in such a small space with the intake/throttle body configured how it is?

The shit works, there are plenty of L67's running almost that exact setup well into the 12s, 11s, 10s, and 9s without a single problem.

I'm sure you would agree with me that an open flame is hot. Would you also agree that when you run your hand through an open flame quickly, you feel basically zero heat? Same deal here dude...you've got many hundreds of CFM going through a 2.5" pipe, it's moving so goddamn fast that it's not going to pick up almost any heat. Trust me.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I know this, all I was trying to say is why there was no heat shielding between the turbo and the intake tube. I can see that's the only way it's packaged and you have to work with what you got. But they also have the turbo blankets and other insulating devices. Maybe in the picture they took those off to show the entire set up, idk, I was just commenting on the picture not necessarily the set-up in general.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info