project gti killer

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
so after talkin to my buddy for a while, who owns a gti vr6 with a turbo kit, we've decided to set up a little grudge match. over the summer the idea is to do as much to your car as possible with out letting the other know. on the last day of summer we're doing a heads up hoods shut race for bragging rights (and a little money). So basically i need to start some mods today. Lets hear some ideas. I'm guessing he'll be running mid 12's by summers end if not faster. Whats the cheapest way i can beat this?

so far my ideas are:
tko 500
4.10 gear
vt stage II cams
ported heads
tune
cold air intake/tb/plenum
full exhaust (LT's back)
315 bfg dr's
upper and lower c-arms
lighten the load abit.

blower is out of the question as i probably wont have 3500 bucks at once.

i'm also lookin at 2 03/04 cobra motors on ebay going for cheap but thats a pipe dream.

Lets hear some suggestions.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
MGT2002 said:
as cool as nitrous is...i dont it mixes well with 66k mile motors

Yes it does. 66k is not that much milage man. As long as your engine wasn't fugged up in that 66k miles. I say do the bolt-ons, do the cams and headwork if you can afford it and the nitrous to boot. Put that thing into the 11's for good measure. :headbang:

You can find used dry kits for $150 all day long and also find used wetkits for $250 on somewhat regular occassion on corral or modularfords. Cheap as all hell and give you a hell of allot more bang for your buck for what you need. If yer skeered then run a 50-75 shot. :cool:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
MGT2002 said:
as cool as nitrous is...i dont it mixes well with 66k mile motors

66k miles isnt much at all. It'll run forever on 100 shot. Plus based on the mods you had planned, it looksl ike you were going to spend a shitload of money building the engine anyway. This way you can run 12s for cheap meanwhile saving the money and then doing the engine right when you do tear into it: Forged pistons, crank, rods.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
N20GT said:
66k miles isnt much at all. It'll run forever on 100 shot. Plus based on the mods you had planned, it looksl ike you were going to spend a shitload of money building the engine anyway. This way you can run 12s for cheap meanwhile saving the money and then doing the engine right when you do tear into it: Forged pistons, crank, rods.

Yeah, good idea. Leave the heads/cams alone. That will save you $2,500-$3,500 depending on who you were getting the heads from. Take that money and buy someones stock 03/04 Cobra shortblock, run a simple standalone return fuel system for the wetshot of nitrous. And then pill that bitch to a 150-200 shot on a built fuel system and engine to support it. If done correctly you can safely get deep into the 11's with a minimal amount of money. It will take some bargain shopping and wrenching on your part though.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
rocket5979 said:
Yeah, good idea. Leave the heads/cams alone. That will save you $2,500-$3,500 depending on who you were getting the heads from. Take that money and buy someones stock 03/04 Cobra shortblock, run a simple standalone return fuel system for the wetshot of nitrous. And then pill that bitch to a 150-200 shot on a built fuel system and engine to support it. If done correctly you can safely get deep into the 11's with a minimal amount of money. It will take some bargain shopping and wrenching on your part though.

i'd be getting the heads done for free at work. not buying re-worked cores :nono:

i can also get comp cams at cost through work as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info