exhuast and welding

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i have a chance for some fairly cheap mufflers and dont want to buy a full catback right now but the mufflers are 2.5" and as you know stock is 2.25" so how hard is it to cut out the stockers and weld in the new ones? should i just take it to a shop and have them do it or try to have a friend that is a decent welder try and tackle it? what would i need to do to make up the size difference if we try to do it on our own?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
hazmat404 said:
well i have a chance for some fairly cheap mufflers and dont want to buy a full catback right now but the mufflers are 2.5" and as you know stock is 2.25" so how hard is it to cut out the stockers and weld in the new ones? should i just take it to a shop and have them do it or try to have a friend that is a decent welder try and tackle it? what would i need to do to make up the size difference if we try to do it on our own?

Metal work is a relative thing. To some it is a VERY daunting task, to others it is a piece of cake. I think it is pretty easy and fun to do custom metal work. If I were you I would just buy some 2.25" to 2.5" adapter pipes that are the slipfit kind and just cut your old mufflers out along with enough pipe to let the sleeves fit in as well. Loosen the exhaust hangers and pull the exhaust pipes down far enough to slip the sleeves on. The put it all back in place and rehung and just weld the new joints. After the heads/cams/nitrous goes into the Explorer I plan to do my new 3" dual exhaust myself because it will be about 1/6 the price if I took it to someone else to do. :headbang: good luck man, it sounds like a pretty simple job to me though. You aren't going to learn unless you try it.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
yeah, the adapters crossed my mind so i think that will be the best bet. should be a breeze the way you said plus my buddy has been welding things for the past 10 years so i think we are in good shape plus i dont care what it looks like as long as it is sealed up. thanx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• hazmat404
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list