how to calculate tire rotations per minute

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
Rotation per minute isn't what you want...you want rotations per mile.

Here are the two ways I do it, pick one - the only difference is the way you are measuring the rolling diameter of your tire.
Measure the outside diameter(how tall it is) of your tire, loaded normally. Lets say it is 26". 26X3.14(PI)=81.64" There are 63360 inches in a mile. 63360/81.84 = 774.19 rotations per mile. This assumes your tire is perfectly round going down the road...it isn't.

Then.... Make a mark on the bottom of your tire and on the ground where the mark meets the asphalt. Have a friend drive the until the mark is pointing straight down at the ground again. Measure the distance between the two marks, and use that number 63360/X for your rotations per mile. This will get you closer, in my opinion, but it still isn't perfect as the tire will "grow" more round at speed.

Pick a number in between your two calculations and you've got the best of both worlds. Or pick either one and you'll be close enough.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
MGT2002 said:
was wondering how to calculate tire rotations per minute so i can correct my speed for the 315's (yes they threw it off, the speed is 3 mph too fast. ex: i'm doin 37, my speedo says 40) and was gonna do it through the predator tuner
Check the manufacturers' website. Most of them list revolutions per mile for their tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info