Radio has power but no sound??

B

blk96svt

I have a pioneer head unit thats worked fine for the last 3 years in my 96 cobra but all of a sudden all my speakers just stopped working. It still has power and even plays CDs but it doesnt give out any sound. I went and bought a new pioneer head unit and plugged in the same harness in there thinking it would solve the problem but still no sound. Any radio experts in here that could help me figure this problem out??

B

blk96svt

I haven't changed any of the speakers and amps. Whatever came stock in the 96 cobras is what i am using. The only thing changed is the headunit. I already checked the harness for the radio and all connections seem to be fine so i have no idea what the problem is.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
my guess is a blown or grounded out speaker. i have cars come in to work all the time that the radio still powers up and plays everything but there is no sound. 95% of the time a speaker blew and the wires shorted together. causing the internal amplifier in the radio to go into protection mode. check your speakers. if you have the mach system get ford oem speakers because aftermarket speakers on the 460 system sound like ass. no 460 system any aftermarket speakers will be fine.

btw ive done car audio for circuit city for 3 years now. so im not just blowin smoke ;)

dmint

Regular
Aug 15, 2005
Hoffman Estates
Did you use the wiring harness that just plugs into the factory harness as opposed to hard wiring it? If you did, then you blew out the amp under the dash. I did the same thing in my old 96 GT. I know in the 96, the factory radio doesn't have the power to push it to the speakers. So ford uses an amp to help it along(mounted right below the radio)and when you don't bypass it, when you use an aftermarket radio it will push too much power through the amp and thus it goes kerplat. In mine I had Best Buy bypass the blown amp, but with that came absolutely no bass from the mach 460 system, which wasn't that big of a deal cus I had subs.

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
Your best tool is a mulitmeter that is the only way to start checking things off. First check the power wires and signal wires going to the amp. If you have the right voltage then you know the problem is not the head unit. The check the amps they should draw a certian ohms when unconnected if they dont you know the amps are bad. Last check the speakers the same way, mostly likley theres a crossed wire or a bad ground(very important) people over look grounds and just choose the nearest metal part. Once again a mulitmeter is the best tester...

B

blk96svt

I had best buy hook up the head unit close to 4 years ago now. So i dont know if they bypassed the amp or not. One thing i did notice was one of my door speakers was starting to sound like it was poped before all this happened. Thanks for the advice guys now i know where to start this weekend when i try to track the problem down.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
blk96svt said:
I had best buy hook up the head unit close to 4 years ago now. So i dont know if they bypassed the amp or not. One thing i did notice was one of my door speakers was starting to sound like it was poped before all this happened. Thanks for the advice guys now i know where to start this weekend when i try to track the problem down.

blown speaker grounding out causing no sound ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info