Can't go over 4k RPM's

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Hey guys, I just started my winter beater (1997 Contour) after a good 6 - 8 months of sitting. Charged the battery all day and the good 'ol girl fired right up. Anyhow, I found that it won't rev over 4k RPM's. Once it hits 4k, it sounds like it's missing or almost like air rushing, or something like that. Kinda hard to determine when it also sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere... :dunno: Can this be from condensation in the gas, or does this sound like something else in the engine? (head gasket?) :confused:

Thanks!

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Stangfreak91 said:
I'd check your cats to make sure there in good shape,If that checks out I'd then check your ignition and fuel filter.

Interesting you'd say that... when I rev the engine, it almost sounds like something is rolling around in the exhaust directly under the front seats....most likely where the cats are... would blown cats cause a condition like this?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
frdtch05gt said:
The Contour has always had problems with the pre-cats failing and all the insides fall into the main cats and clog them up, that could be the noise you're hearing. If the cats are plugged up, that would explain the revving problem.

Thanks man! I'll have to check those out and see if that's the case. Do you know if the exhaust is 1 piece, or will I be able to replace just the cats or a mid-pipe or something like that?

Thanks!

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
DSG03COBRA said:
Interesting you'd say that... when I rev the engine, it almost sounds like something is rolling around in the exhaust directly under the front seats....most likely where the cats are... would blown cats cause a condition like this?

I'm not ASE certified! But I have heard of rotted of clogged cats being the direct cause of performance and driveability issues.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Venomblue22 said:
I know on my grandam if you wernt moving and you reved it it would not go over 4000 but as soon as your mph started it would allow it to go all the way to 6

food for thought

I was wondering the same thing... I didn't get a chance to take it out for a real drive yet... need to get out on an open road and give it some gas....

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
The 2.5 v6 has converters built into the exhaust manifolds, those are usually the first to go, then the main cat gets clogged. It's replaceable in 3 pieces, each of the pre-cats/manifolds, and the y-pipe. Expensive stuff though.

You may also want to check out the intake system though too, it has a switching runner system that tends to stick. May need to pull the upper and lower intake manifolds and de-carbon the manifolds. You could try running seafoam through them too, but the intake gaskets tend to leak anyway, so it may be better to just take it all apart and de-carbon, change the gaskets.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Venomblue22 said:
I know on my grandam if you wernt moving and you reved it it would not go over 4000 but as soon as your mph started it would allow it to go all the way to 6

food for thought

Finally took the car out tonight for new tires and found that this was the case too... When I was moving, it would rev all the way up... Will still look into the cats though just to be sure they aren't fugged up. :biggthump

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
01GTvert said:
So you didnt even drive the thing? There might be a rev limiter only for neutral which is lower than the one when the trans is engaged.

No, I took it out for a quick spin around the neighborhood to get everything moving through the engine, but I didn't get a chance to get out onto a main road and let it rev up... not to mention that one of the rear tires had separated at the belt, so I was limiting my speed in it until it was safe again. I could have sworn that in the past I was able to hit the gas in Park and it would rev all the way up, but maybe I'm mistaken... :dunno:

Either way she seems to drive just fine, and it may just be some type of rev limiter while in Park.

Still thinking of straight pipes though.... :headbang: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info