Need help painting rims black...

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
I just traded my rims yesterday with another guy. I got stock bullits off of him and I am going to paint them black. I did this to my buddys GT and they turned out O.K. but not that great. They looked good from far but far from good but part of it was that I was in a hurry. I used engine enamel to do his rims and unless you were up close the paint wouldn't cover the rims. And we all know that when you paint close it drips.... :-o Only 2 of the rims actually turned out good and only one of them was perfect.

So my question is... What can I do to make the paint lay on the rim good without spraying it from 5 inches away and getting drips everywhere? And what do you suggest for paint?

I was thinking of sanding them down to make it stick but I don't want to ruin the finish of the stock rim in case I ever get sick of the black or sell them.

Any suggestions????

03CobraRed

Mind Over Matter
Mar 17, 2004
They sell paint made for rims already in a spray can, I redid my 93 Cobras with it a while ago and it looked perfect. Duplicolor makes it I think and you just have to do a few coats to get it right, make the first coat SUPER thin and then go from there. They even sell a clearcoat that you spray over them when your finished. Before you paint anything on them make sure you give them a good cleaning with some kinda of degreaser or acetone to get everything off of them first.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
03CobraRed said:
They sell paint made for rims already in a spray can, I redid my 93 Cobras with it a while ago and it looked perfect. Duplicolor makes it I think and you just have to do a few coats to get it right, make the first coat SUPER thin and then go from there. They even sell a clearcoat that you spray over them when your finished. Before you paint anything on them make sure you give them a good cleaning with some kinda of degreaser or acetone to get everything off of them first.

First of all thanks, but where did you buy the paint from?

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
i know u said u might want to potentially make them look stock again but i dont think u will get the finish you want if you have that in mind.... have u thought of just getting them powdercoated? 01sleeper knows someone who powdercoats if thats the route u decide to go.....

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
WhtSuperStang said:
i know u said u might want to potentially make them look stock again but i dont think u will get the finish you want if you have that in mind.... have u thought of just getting them powdercoated? 01sleeper knows someone who powdercoats if thats the route u decide to go.....

I don't want to get to carried away cause these are just my winter rims and one of them has dent in the lip of the rim and if I went all out I would just go with DD's out back. I am going to try the "rim paint" that the other guy suggested to use if not I'll look in to the powdercoating. thanks

slow4.6

TCG Elite Member
Mar 20, 2006
clean the wheels useing wax and grease remover, then use a gray scotch brite pad, then when you spay them do light coats try not to cover them heavy.1st coat you should still be able to see threw them.let it flash and go with the next coat. do that 3-4 times till completly covered. if you need help i will help you. ill even get a gray pad for you.

Oncebitten03

TCG Elite Member
Feb 13, 2005
slow4.6 said:
clean the wheels useing wax and grease remover, then use a gray scotch brite pad, then when you spay them do light coats try not to cover them heavy.1st coat you should still be able to see threw them.let it flash and go with the next coat. do that 3-4 times till completly covered. if you need help i will help you. ill even get a gray pad for you.

Ditto on what he said.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info