Well, I'm not upgrading, I'm buying Kim a new car instead.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
1996 Chevy 1500.

1/2 ton, extended cab, short bed, 350 TBI, Posi rear-end, Hitch, 2WD.

Its green with tan interior, Sun roof, fully loaded except for leather.

It has alota miles on it, but runs like a champ.

This is her Uncles truck so he is giving us a crazy good deal on it, and I averaged 15.3mpg driving it nearly 300 miles over last weekend, 90 miles with an empty car dolly, 90 miles towing the grand prix behind it.

This is why I want to 'cut and run' on the grand prix for those who were wondering, I'd rather have the money for this so we have a truck to move with, and to tow with for future flips.

ANNNNNND

So Kim has her OWN car (it will be in her name) that is reliable, and safe (with her in the civic I admit I'm afraid of what will happen if she gets hit or hits someone, with her in a truck I'll be afraid of what will happen to the person that hits her *or she hits*)

The civic will remain so if she needs to commute more than 5-10 miles, she can borrow the civic for the mpg.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
its just like this, but green:

961500.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
why would you buy something you wont drive over 5-10 miles because of gas?

15.3 isnt bad, infact its damn good for the age and mileage of the vehicle.

I apologize that I didn't clarify why I said that:

We both work less than 5 miles from home, Kim SOMETIMES works 15-20 miles away (once or twice a week), and it would make sense for her to drive the civic or focus there instead of the truck.

15.3 I agree is GREAT especially considering I was towing about 4000lbs for almost 100 miles of me having it. I meant to mention it as a PERK, not as a Con. I towed similar weight when moving with a 97 F150 ex cab short bed with the 4.6 V-8 and got 8-9mpg out of the fucking thing.

I'm going to 2-tone the thing when we get it (rusty cab corners)

I'm going to "Rust Stop" primer color below the 'side cladding' and then cover it with bed-liner, I think it will look kinda cool. What do you guys think?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Are you guys married? If not, why isn't she buying her own shit?

We are engaged, and have lived together for nearly 2 years now.

I make nearly 3 times what she does, so buying her a car I feel isn't too outlandish considering she manages to pay 50% of bills/utilities/rent despite her smaller income.

That and I will probably have it titled in BOTH of our names.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
heh, I knew I'd get a thumbs up from Fish.

It drove and towed like a champ, and after I brought it back to him he was like "wow, the old girl has some life left in her I guess", I than said to him "I want it, How much?"

He made mention that he thinks it has 3:80 gearing or something like that and it was supposed to be good for towing? Is that good or bad?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
heh, I knew I'd get a thumbs up from Fish.

It drove and towed like a champ, and after I brought it back to him he was like "wow, the old girl has some life left in her I guess", I than said to him "I want it, How much?"

He made mention that he thinks it has 3:80 gearing or something like that and it was supposed to be good for towing? Is that good or bad?

3.80 is a pretty steep gear, which means you will have torque on demand. It also means you will get shitty gas mileage.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
the RPM's seemed a bit on the high side doing 65ish, but like I said, it averaged about 15mpg when I was driving it, so its not terrible, and defiantly had lots of torque on demand.

Typical GM gearing in the trucks was either 3.08 (great gas mileage 17+ hard for towing, the more common 3.42 (decent milage 16-17 maybe more, a little better for towing). the more common tow gear 3.73 (again ok gas mileage 14+, with a strong motor you'll never know the trailer is back there :D) 4.10's were more in the 3/4 tons than in the 1/2 tons, more common when pulling 5th wheels.

I know because I've had my fair share of c/k trucks :D

You say its a 96 TBI is it the vortec? If you thats a damn good start ;) Do a nice tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Ignition coil, and a nice exhaust that truck will run flawlessly I promise ;) I miss my 94 now :(

DSC01321.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Typical GM gearing in the trucks was either 3.08 (great gas mileage 17+ hard for towing, the more common 3.42 (decent milage 16-17 maybe more, a little better for towing). the more common tow gear 3.73 (again ok gas mileage 14+, with a strong motor you'll never know the trailer is back there :D) 4.10's were more in the 3/4 tons than in the 1/2 tons, more common when pulling 5th wheels.

I know because I've had my fair share of c/k trucks :D

You say its a 96 TBI is it the vortec? If you thats a damn good start ;) Do a nice tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Ignition coil, and a nice exhaust that truck will run flawlessly I promise ;) I miss my 94 now :(

It DID have a 5th wheel with its FIRST owner *the mounts are still in the bed, just not wheel* I suspect it has 3.73's with you saying that.

its a 96 with the 350, I dunno if its the Vortec (I don't think it is), I know it looks just like the motor in the picture you posted, but with the stock intake and not as shiney.

A tune-up will be the first thing the truck gets and then a transmission flush afterwards to make sure everything stays 100%

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
It DID have a 5th wheel with its FIRST owner *the mounts are still in the bed, just not wheel* I suspect it has 3.73's with you saying that.

its a 96 with the 350, I dunno if its the Vortec (I don't think it is), I know it looks just like the motor in the picture you posted, but with the stock intake and not as shiney.

A tune-up will be the first thing the truck gets and then a transmission flush afterwards to make sure everything stays 100%

If its not the vortec it won't hurt but it is the better choice. The regular TBI is still very torquey, but the vortec carries more uptop at cruising speeds. But simple upgrades are very easy to do. If you need any advice just ask me, I can point you into the direction of the truck world ;)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It looks like it may be a Vortec. on consumerguide it says that the 5.7 liter engine went from 210hp to 250hp in 1996, and in 1997 it went to 255hp, but lost fuel economy.

I thought all Vortecs were MPFI for some reason...

In fact, engine outputs for all C/K engines rose sharply in 1996. The 4.3-liter V6 now made 200 horsepower (up 40), helped by sequential fuel injection. The 5.0-liter V8 added 45 horsepower (now 220). The 5.7-liter V8 gained 50 (rated at 250), while the heavy-duty 5.7 rose to 245 horsepower (up 65). A compression boost helped add 60 horses to the 7.4 V8 (now 290 bhp). For 1997, power outputs for the smaller V8s were bumped again--to 230 horsepower for the 5.0-liter and 255 horsepower for 5.7-liter--resulting in slightly lower fuel economy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info