Aftermarket Shifter quesiton

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
For those who have tried many shifters.

First of all ive heard everything but havent tried much.

The terminator i test drove had some serious springs and you had to fight it to put it in first gear. (i dont know which shifter it was)

When i was looking for a cobra, i drove a 96 that had a steeda i think and i liked how the shifter "clicked" into gear. Can anyone tell me if it is the steeda that does this?

I like the smoothness of the stock shifter, but hate the long throw. Any suggestions? I know "MGW is the best" or "stock shifter aftermarket handle" but convince me.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Ive had hurst, steeda tri-x, pro 5.0, & mgw

Hurst was a total peice of shit

steeda felt great but the handle sucked balls, many people run steeda's with a pro 5.0 handle. pretty noisy

Pro 5.0, I thought I had it all, felt killer, short ass throw, but it was noisy

Then I bought a "OLD" style MGW (thanks jeff!), felt better then the pro 5.0 (it felt way shorter), the handle was nice plus you can put it wherever you want, almost no noise at all. I might add a shifter gasket to the MGW but I heard many good things and many bad things so :dunno:

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I originally put a Steeda Tri-Ax on my Cobra since the MGW shifter didn't exist at the time. I also had one on my 99 GT and it felt pretty good on that car.

The Tri-Ax felt just fine and "clicked" into gear as you described. Shifts were positive and smooth and I never missed 3rd gear again.

However, I never used the Steeda handle and ended up using the stock handle instead. The reason for this was the noise.

The Tri-Ax has got to be the noisiest shifter you can buy and gets really annoying after a while. With the stock handle bolted to the Steeda, the noise was tolerable, but the shift throws were longer. It still felt good though.

The MGW feels even better than the Tri-Ax and make almost no noise.

If you're gonna buy a NEW shifter, you should just go with the MGW and be done with it. There really isn't a better shifter.

But if you can pick up a used Tri-Ax for cheap, you might want to get it along with one of CobraBob's shifter gaskets. His gaskets supposedly reduce the noise to tolerable levels, even with a short throw handle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info