gaskets..

Aug 25, 2006
Ok i have seen and heard guys (old guys) from back in the 70's run silicone gaskets instead of metal and rubber ones. IS there any gains to doing it this way?? I have a friend in socal that did his 88 429 clone boss motor this way and he has had no problems with it. So money is not an a problem for gaskets i was just wondering what ur guys thoughts "(gals too)" on this. Thanks Josh

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
FR 500 HAND BUILT said:
i was asking not what ones to use-- i was asking why they used just silicone back in the day?

I am going to use the stock ford becuase they work so well!

I guess we just assumed that being that you are in the middle of an engine build that you were comtemplating doing that with it.

I would guess that the much bigger cylinders of the heyday would not tend to generate nearly as high of cylinder pressures as modern cars of the same horsepower. Especially being that most of them were N/A.

he built a 454 chevy motor for it then bored it to a 467 with a 427 crank. The thing makes 602 ft of torque to the wheels- 571 rwhp. 110 octane gas with the iron heads- he is putting on aluminum heads soon and wants 650 rwhp and 700 ft of torque the car is a monster but gets 9 miles to the gallon :lmao: :headbang:

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
FR 500 HAND BUILT said:
he built a 454 chevy motor for it then bored it to a 467 with a 427 crank. The thing makes 602 ft of torque to the wheels- 571 rwhp. 110 octane gas with the iron heads- he is putting on aluminum heads soon and wants 650 rwhp and 700 ft of torque the car is a monster but gets 9 miles to the gallon :lmao: :headbang:

IRON HEADS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info