Cobra/Tbird/Cougar/MarkVIII Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub R&R

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
This is a job that takes a few specialty tools, and there are a couple of nuances to the job too.

1) Remove knuckle from the car. This will be covered in a seperate write-up.

2) Remove dust shield. On a Cobra, these are 10mm hex head bolts. Ford recommends replacing them, but probably to give it fresh threadlocker. Life is too short for a car with shielding that rattles.

3) Press out the hub. To do this, we need a press (thank you captain obvious), step plates, and a way to support the knuckle. I use the Ford/Rotunda/OTC tool specific for this job. Day one of Auto Mechanics 101 - use the right tool for the job.

BilletFLow supercharger pulley puller used for size comparisson.

dsc_0002.jpg

This is a step plate that fits perfectly in the hub
dsc_0004.jpg

Pressing out the hub (dont laugh - I know I need more press plates)
dsc_0006.jpg

And out it comes.
dsc_0009.jpg

4) Take out the giant snap ring. Cheesy snap ring tools need not apply. Getting this guy in and out is the hardest part of the job, in my opinion.

dsc_0013.jpg

Here is what we have apart so far:
dsc_0017.jpg

5) With another step plate (every press user needs a handful of these little buggers) of the right size, press out the bearing. I'm using the Ford/Rotunda/OTC tool specific to the job of supporting the knuckle.

dsc_0020.jpg

dsc_0022.jpg

And out it comes.
dsc_0025.jpg

To replace the bearing and hub, its mostly a reverse of the removal process, but some of the step plates are different.

I'm reusing the parts I just removed because there was nothing wrong with them. Whether the part is new or used, the only difference is you need to lube up a new part. Never press something in dry.

1) Using the proper step plate, press the bearing into the knuckle

dsc_0028.jpg

dsc_0029.jpg

2) Replace the giant snap ring.
dsc_0031.jpg

3) With the proper step plate, support the inner race of the bearing
dsc_0035.jpg

dsc_0037.jpg

The step plate sticks up into the bearing far enough that I have to flip it over in order to get the hub into the bearing all the way. Whenever pressing anything together, if you feel resistance, STOP. 12 tons on an aluminum casting can destroy it. Let the press do the work. If you have to hurk on the press to get things together, stop and take a look at things. Chances are something is cockeyed, or you've reached the bottom of the bore.

dsc_0040.jpg

4) Replace the dust shield and reinstall on the car.
dsc_0041.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ShelbyGuy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list