Best time to change oil?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
wizdawg said:
I put about 2000-3000 miles a year on the cobra. I change the oil once a year. Im using Mobil 1, fully synthetic. Should I be doing it right before winter storage or when I take it out of storage in the spring? Or does it not matter? I can think of pros and cons for both times.

Best thing would be to do it both times. Fresh oil before you put it away and then fresh oil again before you start driving it. If you have to pick one, I'd say change it before you put it away.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
I'd change it after. Oil is water saluable (sp) which means it absorbs water. No matter how climate controled your garage or storage place is humidity (water) will enter through the pcv system and slight amounts will get in there. But, seeing as you barely drive it both times would be best. fresh in, fresh out.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
umm i hate to break it to you but oil and water do not mix. oil is not at all hygroscopic.

oil has a lighter molecular weight than water and as such will float on top.

try and emulsify it all you want. they will eventually seperate.

change it after you start it up after storage. the oil in the pan is just the oil in the pan.

Svt Abuser

SVT FTP
Jul 26, 2006
Brake Fluid is the one u want to watch for water, absorbs water horribly, giving u spongey brakes...thats why u shouldnt use old brake fluid u got layin round the garage for brake jobs...always start w a new bottle...

I take a turkey baster and suck out all the old crap, get as much as u can out of it, wipe the resovior clean, (if its the type that allows this) and refill it....its better than nothing!

sorry, thought id just throw that out there...also, I agree with the guy above, change it both times, if u only put 3K a year on it...shit dude, drive it more!@!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info