all sorts of crap broken...

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
So I got a few birfday bux, and decided to tackle the timing chain since my milage has been bad, and it's something I suspected being bad for quite some time.

During the tear down, I found 2 bad idlers, a blown power steering pump, bad waterpump, the chain has no tension on it both sides, and the tensioner had a big chunk taken out of it.

I'm still putting it back together, just taking a little break.

oh, and the battery terminals were corroded too, lol.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Just got it done, took awhile for the oil pump to prime...very scary. Runs great though. I took it on a 10 mile drive just to check it out, and it feels 100% better than it has for the past two years. I have to hook up my scanner to got WOT though; I don't want to chance it yet.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
did your car feel sluggish on normal acceration like when merging on a highway and stuff like that? My GT kinda does, and it seems to pull fine at WOT. I need to change the chain too. It has 156,000 miles now and rockers were installed at 60,000 and 90lb springs at 80,000. Fish correct me if i am wrong.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
did your car feel sluggish on normal acceration like when merging on a highway and stuff like that? My GT kinda does, and it seems to pull fine at WOT. I need to change the chain too. It has 156,000 miles now and rockers were installed at 60,000 and 90lb springs at 80,000. Fish correct me if i am wrong.

Your pretty much spot on correct.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
hmmm...news to me. i called zzp (they dont answer my emails) and i asked about replacement roller chains cause i bought mine used. i was told they have NEVER seen one stretch nor replaced a chain due to stretch.:dunno:

single rollers suck, if they told you they have never seen a problem with one they are lying. I've had people ask me to install these, and I always refuse to.

Stock is still best for all but the most extreme builds.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel

Yup, I could never tune the idle either. It was always misfiring, and on initial start it would always stumble, then recover. With part throttle, it was like a switch was flipped once you got past a certain point. It would dog down, then just go like nothing happened.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Yup, I could never tune the idle either. It was always misfiring, and on initial start it would always stumble, then recover. With part throttle, it was like a switch was flipped once you got past a certain point. It would dog down, then just go like nothing happened.

The GT does the misfire thing at idle too, it will sometimes make a pop noise and i can feel the engine studder for a second. It always has started up fine with no stumbling.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Well i just did the timing chain in the GT and it was wore out lol. There was a nice chunk missing off the dampner and the chain was a bit sloppy. The car feels better over all and the miss at idle seems to have went away. I am happy with it. BTW that crank bolt was a bitch to break loose. My impact would not budge it and it has taken others out just fine. I had to vice gripe the flex plate, get a long 1/2 inch extension with a breaker bar, but it worked.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info