Brake Help

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
1st off this is on my 2000 v6 mustang.

About a month ago I noticed my front driver side wheel would get dirty much faster than the rest. I didn't think much of it, nor really cared at the time. I took all the wheels off today to rotate them and that wheel it very hard to turn, and near impossible with the wheel off (turn by hand on the studs). What can cause this? Its almost like the brake isnt releasing 100%? Is it just in need of a brake job or is the problem more serious?

PS. This is a really dumb question, but how do you check the % of remaining brake pad? Do you have to remove the caliper?

Thanks!

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
I just did pads and rotors. I cleaned and greased the slide pins, they move perfect. I think its one of the pistons in the caliper bore. If i put a 2x4 in there and apply the brakes, one comes out all the way and the other doesnt start moving until the 1st "good" piston is dead against the wood.

I drove about 5 minutes with the new stuff on and when I got home the bad side was extreamly hot and the other side was cool. Its still rubbing. One of the 2 pistons is not retracting all the way. When jacked up, I can turn the wheel, but it will not free spin like the passenger side.

If i do new calipers, are they normally done in sets or can i just do the one side?

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
MGT2002 said:
the cause is the same problem you have, calipers not releasing all the way
But they are brand new on both sides and both are tight. I put the old pads back in on the passenger side with the new caliper and it spins freely. I put those same pads on the driver side (orignal pads on driver side are distroyed) and it spins better than originally, but not as freely as the passenger side. Do you think the pads they sold me are too thick?

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Is this normal dual piston behavior...
If I take the caliper off the disc and put a piece of wood in there that leaves about .75" of piston travel before it hits the wood, one piston will come all the way out and hit the wood, at this point, the 2nd piston starts moving. is that normal or should they move at the same time?

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
wizdawg said:
But they are brand new on both sides and both are tight. I put the old pads back in on the passenger side with the new caliper and it spins freely. I put those same pads on the driver side (orignal pads on driver side are distroyed) and it spins better than originally, but not as freely as the passenger side. Do you think the pads they sold me are too thick?

i was talking about my brakes, not yours. sorry for the confusion... :dunno:

and as what i was suggested to do, get the caliper fully rebuilt

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Heres an update...

Ford is stumped, and still working on it. This makes me feel a little better knowing I didn't screw up a simple brake job. Even though I went through 2 new (remanufactured) calipers, I'm still better its the caliper sticking. I should have just bought new Ford calipers.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Well Im told its done and fixed. We'll see when I pick it up. They replaced the autozone pads with Ford pads (which are slightly thinner) and they replaced the brand new slide pins (new pins came with the remanufactured calipers from napa) with Ford pins. Between those 2 things, they says its fixed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info