Educate me: Nitrous

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
its fairly easy. i leanred a shit load doing it on mine (grant it never worked due to me not reading it right lol)

dynotunenitrous.com has really good stuff for cheap

youll want a wet kit, a window switch, and a bottle warmer, and blowdown kit (to make it track legal) at the minimum. you can go all out like i did and also get a remote bottle opener, pressure guage, and pod control center.

hook up is extremely easy, and it even tells you what you should do to tune it (change the timing a couple degrees) to run it safely

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
technically for that low of a shot you shouldnt.... most engines are built to allow about 40-50% increase before trouble (excluding the freaks like srt-4's and now the LSJs)

just change the timing a bit and u should be good. if you go to dynotune and under instructions look up the 4cyl wet kit, it tells you what u should do tune wise

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
technically for that low of a shot you shouldnt.... most engines are built to allow about 40-50% increase before trouble (excluding the freaks like srt-4's and now the LSJs)

just change the timing a bit and u should be good. if you go to dynotune and under instructions look up the 4cyl wet kit, it tells you what u should do tune wise

you selling your kit yet matt? :wink:

I'll take a look. Do you guys think this would be a good power alternative to a HMT turbo kit while I save for a higher turbo end kit?

Stock B18B1's are known for holding 75 shots wonderfully, and I was kinda thinking a 50 shot could be had for a fairly low cost and would be fun.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
You dont NEED all the accessories, but they are nice to have. A window switch and bottle heater is plenty to get along for a while. For a 50 you shouldnt need to retard timing at all, so I wouldnt worry too much. General rule of thumb is 2* timing per 50hp shot.

As far as running wet or dry, do some research what other people are having success with on your car. Im not even sure if you run a MAF sensor, but if you dont you HAVE to run a wet shot.

I would absolutely never ever ever ever spray without having a way to monitor either A/F (wideband) or knock via some sort of scantool. Both would be recommended for tuning, after that only one just so you can keep an eye on things.

Personally, I had terrible luck with my wet kit. I couldnt tune it for the life of me. My A/F ratios were great but it would knock like fucking crazy. I went through two bottles trying to get it right, but just couldnt. When I swapped plenums I changed over to a dry shot and it runs great now.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You dont NEED all the accessories, but they are nice to have. A window switch and bottle heater is plenty to get along for a while. For a 50 you shouldnt need to retard timing at all, so I wouldnt worry too much. General rule of thumb is 2* timing per 50hp shot.

As far as running wet or dry, do some research what other people are having success with on your car. Im not even sure if you run a MAF sensor, but if you dont you HAVE to run a wet shot.

I would absolutely never ever ever ever spray without having a way to monitor either A/F (wideband) or knock via some sort of scantool. Both would be recommended for tuning, after that only one just so you can keep an eye on things.

Personally, I had terrible luck with my wet kit. I couldnt tune it for the life of me. My A/F ratios were great but it would knock like fucking crazy. I went through two bottles trying to get it right, but just couldnt. When I swapped plenums I changed over to a dry shot and it runs great now.

ya i forgot about A/F and a scantool

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yea, the civic is a MAP car, and I think people typically use wet kits on these engines.

Here's an odd question, I THINK my motor has a knock sensor, but my ECU does NOT use it because its an OBD1 ECU (OBD2 motor) If I can find that wire, is there any kind of electronic gauge I can wire to it to keep an eye on if the motor is experiencing any knock? (I've never heard of civics having any kind of knock issues ever honestly, even with spray or boost, they added the sensor so you could run any kind of gas with minimal/no power loss in the integras)

I was curious about the wide-band, I was THINKING about buying that after purchasing nitrous (but it was on the list if I am to buy spray), but if you feel its mandatory I will probably purchase that first.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
AFAIK it is legal to have in the car, but not to use it.

Cool, I have no spare in the civic, just fix-a-flat, so I was planning on mounting it in that area and the cargo-cover over the hatch hides it from site anyways, I was just concerned if I'm driving to the track with the rear interior out of the car if I'm going to get hassled.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Purchased the wide-band today.

Used with 500 miles on it *saw pics, comes with original packaging*, $160 shipped, AEM.

I did hear a few mixed things though, something about a guy at whip factory saying that a wide-band is "Worthless with nitrous because the spray makes the reading incorrect since its based on EGT and throws off the reading anyways"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info