DVD burning help needed!

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Back when DVD-RW's fist came out, they were very picky regarding the brand of media. I wouldn't think that its much of an issue anymore, but maybe try a different brand DVD+/-R.

What model is your burner? What brand and line are your DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs.

What Mystic Terminator said may sound like it's a giving, but some of the generic disks are silver on one side (no label or branding). Every dvd I have even used have always been purple on the side that gets burnt. That said, purple side down.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
what program are you using to burn??? if your using nero when it asks you what you would like to burn there are two little tabs at the top one says cd one says dvd if your going to burn on a dvd you have to make sure you click on dvd before you click on data disc!!! hope that helps!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Thanks guys. Here's some more info:

Mad Dog internal DVD burner purchased about 3 weeks ago. MD-16X3DVD9-8X. Roxio Easy Media Creator DVD software. I'm trying to copy my Ford service DVD. It has 7GB of data on it. I managed to get the copy process to start by opening the DVD and copying each folder individually but I keep getting an error message that says "cyclical redundancy error" when I try to copy the "Content" folder. I tried both Maxel DVD-R and Phillips and Maxell DVD+R blank DVDs with similar results.

I have used the burner to copy some DVDs before this so I know it works. I'm thinking software problem in the Ford DVD.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Flyn high again said:
Thanks guys. Here's some more info:

Mad Dog internal DVD burner purchased about 3 weeks ago. MD-16X3DVD9-8X. Roxio Easy Media Creator DVD software. I'm trying to copy my Ford service DVD. It has 7GB of data on it. I managed to get the copy process to start by opening the DVD and copying each folder individually but I keep getting an error message that says "cyclical redundancy error" when I try to copy the "Content" folder. I tried both Maxel DVD-R and Phillips and Maxell DVD+R blank DVDs with similar results.

I have used the burner to copy some DVDs before this so I know it works. I'm thinking software problem in the Ford DVD.

Your common DVD-R or DVD-R can not hold over 4.7GB. You need a dual layer disk and and dual layer burner. I believe your burner is a capable of doing dual layer, but is your media dual layer?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
wizdawg said:
Your common DVD-R or DVD-R can not hold over 4.7GB. You need a dual layer disk and and dual layer burner. I believe your burner is a capable of doing dual layer, but is your media dual layer?

I'll try that. The Mad Dog is capable of dual layer burning. Any recommendations of which brand of dual layer disks or do I buy what's on sale?

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
I have never used any dual layer disks. As far as single layer goes, I have been though hundreds of generic disks with no problems. I don't know what they are charging at Best buy for these. Back when they 1st came out it was around $10 a disk. You can buy a generic 25 pack online for under $2 a DVD. Check out meritline.com.

Also, if you are trying to make an exact copy I would suggest creating and burning 1 *.iso file and not coping individual folders at a time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
wizdawg said:
I have never used any dual layer disks. As far as single layer goes, I have been though hundreds of generic disks with no problems. I don't know what they are charging at Best buy for these. Back when they 1st came out it was around $10 a disk. You can buy a generic 25 pack online for under $2 a DVD. Check out meritline.com.

Also, if you are trying to make an exact copy I would suggest creating and burning 1 *.iso file and not coping individual folders at a time.

I'm new to DVD burning so I'm experimenting to see what works. I may end up getting Nero, too. I've never liked Roxio. Thanks for the tips. :headbang:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I went out and bought some dual layer DVDs. This allowed me to start copying the source DVD using the Roxio software. After a couple minutes, copying stopped. "Medium error" code this time.

I checked deeper into the properties of the source disk and discovered that Ford does indeed have copying protection built into it. This may be problem. I don't have any sophisticated copy programs that could get past this protection so I'm stuck.

Disclaimer-I wanted a copy of the software in case my original source DVD got scratched or otherwise messed up. ;)

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
This is what I would do. Download the latest version of DVD Decryptor. You can get it from here http://www.doom9.org/

Install it. Once installed go to MODE>ISO>READ. Choose the dvd-rom where the disk you want to copy is at. Choose where you want to save the *.iso file. The click on the DVD to HDD icon. This will start the process of creating an exact image of the disc. Once it is complete you will have 1 (maybe 2) files in the location you specifed it to save to.

Then, assuming DVD Decrypter supports dual layer burning, go to MODE>ISO>WRITE. Choose the *.iso you just made. Choose the DVD-RW drive. Then click the HDD to DVD icon to begin buring the image to the DVD disk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info