Nitrous on 2V 4.6 Motors

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
John46307 said:
I was trying to see what the biggest shot of nitrous i can run
on a stock 4.6 2v Motor.

You can run a 500 shot no problem! Ooooooh, you probably mean safely... I have seen people running 125-150 shots on those without much problems. It would probably be adviseable to upgrade your fuel pump or at least run an rpm indexed BAP so you don't run out of fuel. Then of course the standard nitrous friendly stuff like colder plugs and retarding spark timing via a flipchip.

If you really wanted to finish the system off in a nice manner then I would also suggest getting a progressive nitrous controller. FJO/NX offer a Mini-controller that is totally badass and only sells for $210. Once I get my new wet kit I will be controlling it via the FJO controller.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
If you want the most safety out of your nitrous system then go with the wet kit properly tuned and configured like stated above from what myself and 1baddass96gt said. I view it as a must to run a nitrous filter right before the solenoids too so as to keep any particles from getting into them. Then also throw in an additional nitrous solenoid in-line with the first one. That way if one fails to close the other one would have to fail at the same time to have any potential of messing your engine up. That is the absolute safest way to run nitrous.

If you want to get away with running just a single nitro solenoid then install it in a modular fashion (QD wire connectors) where it can be easily removed, inspected, and rebuilt if neccessary.

N2O can be just as safe as a blower when used and tuned properly. The problem with nitrous is that it is a little too easy to install; which leads to idiots installing it wrong and rushing things. Then they wonder why they blow their engine? hehe. The juice is fun. You will be addicted soon if not already.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
joes03cobra10thann said:
I ran a 75 shot in my 98 gt and melted all of the spark plugs I wouldn't even play with nitrous unless it was a cobra. :eek:

What does a Cobra have to do with an engine handling nitrous better or not melting the plugs? What plugs were you running? The engine being a 4.6 SOHC or DOHC matters not. Usually 98% of the time when people mess something up in their engine while running nitrous it is due to improper use or setup. Like I said, nitrous is so easy to install that people sometimes cut corners, and then pay dearly for it later.

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
At the very least check to make sure that the o2 sensors and the intake and coolant temp senders are in range and working properly. Make sure your vacuum hoses to the fuel reg are connected properly and are in good shape. A 75 shot can be run with no problem. 125 take out two degrees of ignition timing. Put colder heat range plugs in. As for the install neatness counts. You want your hoses run properly so they are tied up and not hanging down loose same goes for the wires.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Cobra_DJ99 said:
i think you would be able to run a 75shot without a tune, but id still get it on a dyno to make sure the a/f isnt out of wack. along with your fuel pump, and colder plugs you should be fine :biggthump

If that 75 shot is a dry shot then he will definately need to tune for it. If it is a wet shot then the major tuning will be covered with the jetting, besides the retarding spark timing and all that of course. After that a person can just tweak and peak here and there to get the right a/f.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info