Quick help on wiring an activation switch!

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Ok quick question. I am installing a switch that is on and off and lights up. The switch calls for 3 wires. Accessory 12v-only when car is on, power and ground. I have power and ground and the accessory. The accessory is wired to the defroster. As soon as I flipped the switched to the on position the fuse blew. I checked all connections and everything was fine. I dont understand this at all. When I just used the switch without the light it worked fine. I feel much safer when the switch is light up. I am assuming that all 12v sources have the same power so I dont understand why this happend, anyone? Thanks!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
svtcobra2k1 said:
Ok quick question. I am installing a switch that is on and off and lights up. The switch calls for 3 wires. Accessory 12v-only when car is on, power and ground. I have power and ground and the accessory. The accessory is wired to the defroster. As soon as I flipped the switched to the on position the fuse blew. I checked all connections and everything was fine. I dont understand this at all. When I just used the switch without the light it worked fine. I feel much safer when the switch is light up. I am assuming that all 12v sources have the same power so I dont understand why this happend, anyone? Thanks!

How big is the fuse and how much current does the switch draw for the light? Was the defroster also on? You could try another switched circuit, maybe the cigarette lighter. Could your accessory and power wires be reversed? Maybe you have a short circuit somewhere? Metal touching metal and grounding? Defective switch? Just a few things to check.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Bigturbonotch
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list