Impreza spitting white smoke

So here's the story: Two of my friends have Imprezas, one has an 03 on has an 05. The friend with the 03 is selling his soon and switched exhausts with my friend with the 05 because he wanted a quieter exhaust and to make some money before he sold his car. So yesterday they switched exhausts, and for some reason when they bolted the exhaust onto the 05 and started it up it was spitting out white smoke and smelled like gas indicating it was running lean. Now my friend with the 03 has never had any problems like that with this exhaust. So we decide to put on the cat to see what happens(it was just straight pipes from the turbo back to the muffler before), and the same thing happens. We think that it needs a tune but a dyno tune at AMS is $$$$$ so I figured I'd ask before he got it tuned if anyone else knew why it's running lean. tia.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
did they do a hard ecu reset after they put the exhaust in?

let the ecu try and relearn w/ the new exhaust on it. those ecu's arnt that dumb, they should be able to recalculate fuel for whats happening. im not saying the car doesnt need a tune, because that would help it out greatly, but it just seems odd that it would be affected that much.

not sure what else it could be. maybe take the maf out and clean that up, make sure its getting a good reading of air coming into the engine

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Define lean, because you aren't using terms correctly here based upon the symptoms that you've described. If you can smell raw fuel coming out of the tailpipe, that means it's running RICH. Considering most cars (i can't say every because I know it'll bite me in the ass) are tuned rich from the factory in WOT conditions, I don't see how not tuning the thing is going to hurt anything.

It sounds to me like you and your friend are confused.

Also, if you're seeing white smoke and you're sure it isn't just water vapor then you have something wrong completely unrelated to an exhaust issue. White smoke = burning coolant, which would give off a sweet maple syrupy aroma. Blue-Bluish white = burning oil. Black smoke = too much fuel = rich. A lean mixture isn't going to produce any coloration in the exhaust unless it's at the point where you already melted something in the engine and now you're burning coolant/oil.

With the car running at idle, put your hand behind the muffler a couple inches away and tell me if you see little specs of carbon/water getting splattered on your hand. If you are, it's running rich, not lean.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Mook a "hard reset" on the ECU won't compensate for a complete turbo back exhaust on these cars.

If putting an exhaust on throws the AFR's off THAT much, then it's going to throw a code and cause the check engine light to come on. I highly doubt that's going to happen.

However, i know that Subarus have 2 sets of cats, was one before the turbo in the stock manifold? If they're all after the turbo and you removed them all, then the car is definitely going to run like shit, but it'll be running like shit rich, not lean.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
If putting an exhaust on throws the AFR's off THAT much, then it's going to throw a code and cause the check engine light to come on. I highly doubt that's going to happen.

However, i know that Subarus have 2 sets of cats, was one before the turbo in the stock manifold? If they're all after the turbo and you removed them all, then the car is definitely going to run like shit, but it'll be running like shit rich, not lean.

02-05 Subaru used a cat pre turbo in the "up pipe" and then 2 cats post turbo. One in downpipe and one at the tail end of the downpipe.

And the CEL is true if the car hasn't been touched by a tuner before. If one of these cars has a Cobb AP tune on it, even a stage 1 which would be for a single downpipe it completely disables the CEL for cats.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
If one of these cars has a Cobb AP tune on it, even a stage 1 which would be for a single downpipe it completely disables the CEL for cats.

it disables the CEL for the post cat 02 sensor... the engine still needs an accurate signal from the first 02.... thats how it determines how much fuel to add. if a cobb tune disables that, then that is the worst tuning company in the history of the world

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
it disables the CEL for the post cat 02 sensor... the engine still needs an accurate signal from the first 02.... thats how it determines how much fuel to add. if a cobb tune disables that, then that is the worst tuning company in the history of the world

Maybe we didn't read the same thing but I said it disables the CEL for not having any cats on the car. Obviously it still uses the first O2 to "tune" the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info