Question on switching coil springs???

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
i know they arent too hard
ive never done the fronts so i cant really tell u how they r im doing them soon tho

for the rears take off ur wheels
then undo ur lower bolt on ur rear shocks
then pretty much just kick the side of the spring and it will pop out
i had to kick it a bunch of times then finally just gave it one big wham and POP it was loud and scared the hell outta me but it came rite out no problem.

dohc97

resident mexican
Mar 21, 2005
Doesnt a mach 1 have a solid rear? if so its pretty simple but a little more involved than what fast99snake said. IF your talking the rears here is what you do.
1. get car up on jackstands(whole car)
2. take off wheels, then proceed to put a jack under the differential to support it.
3. disconnect the upper control arms at the differential(only 2 bolts)
4. now disconnect both shocks from their mount.
slowly lower the jack until the springs are free, at this point you just grab the springs and take them out.
reverse procedure to install.

Its really simple and super easy, in the shop it usually takes me a grand total of half an hour to swap springs in the rear on a solid rear stang, doing it in a garage its a little more time but no big deal. let me know if you want to do the fronts.

EPSTANG03

03 MACH 1
Sep 8, 2005
dohc97 said:
Doesnt a mach 1 have a solid rear? if so its pretty simple but a little more involved than what fast99snake said. IF your talking the rears here is what you do.
1. get car up on jackstands(whole car)
2. take off wheels, then proceed to put a jack under the differential to support it.
3. disconnect the upper control arms at the differential(only 2 bolts)
4. now disconnect both shocks from their mount.
slowly lower the jack until the springs are free, at this point you just grab the springs and take them out.
reverse procedure to install.

Its really simple and super easy, in the shop it usually takes me a grand total of half an hour to swap springs in the rear on a solid rear stang, doing it in a garage its a little more time but no big deal. let me know if you want to do the fronts.

yeah i plan on doing the fronts too. do you need a special tool or something?

dohc97

resident mexican
Mar 21, 2005
well the front is not that hard either but you do end up having to either kick out the springs or if you have a nice prybar use that. In the front you just support the control arm with a jack, then you undo the top strut nut, and take off the stabilizer bar links. then lower the control arm until its as far as its going to go, now carefully you can pry the spring out or kick it out. Just be careful because it might still have some tension on it.

EPSTANG03

03 MACH 1
Sep 8, 2005
dohc97 said:
well the front is not that hard either but you do end up having to either kick out the springs or if you have a nice prybar use that. In the front you just support the control arm with a jack, then you undo the top strut nut, and take off the stabilizer bar links. then lower the control arm until its as far as its going to go, now carefully you can pry the spring out or kick it out. Just be careful because it might still have some tension on it.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• EPSTANG03
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list