Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
this:
motor022.jpg

To this:
motor019.jpg

Just have some minor bracing to do, then finish up the welds. Then a nice red powdercoat. The new ball joint is so beefy, the spindles have to be reamed out to accept them.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
what are you using to weld that? Very nice though Ron ;)
A mig, it's just spot welded right now though. I don't care how the welds look on this set, so I'm using flux core. Gas sheilding will make a prettier weld, but it's not worth the extra cost just to keep the splatter down. I don't even watch the gun when I'm spotting it, as I'm busy holding tubes. It'll look a bunch better when I start laying down beads on it.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
When setup right it sure does...

And by setup right, I mean on the razor's edge of blowing through with each weld, but...

What thickness tube Ron? .045 or so?

.045 isn't a tube size, .049 is. I considered it, but the weight savings isn't worth it. It's harder to weld on, and it can be braced to work, but still questionable. I used a .065 tube which is much better for these all around. I could have stepped up to a .125 wall, but that is total over kill unless I wasn't planning on bracing it at all, and if I did that would have used 3/4" tube instead of 1".

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
.045 isn't a tube size, .049 is. I considered it, but the weight savings isn't worth it. It's harder to weld on, and it can be braced to work, but still questionable. I used a .065 tube which is much better for these all around. I could have stepped up to a .125 wall, but that is total over kill unless I wasn't planning on bracing it at all, and if I did that would have used 3/4" tube instead of 1".

lol...being braindead after work yesterday, I don't remember if I meant to ask if it was .035 or .049, but regardless...

.058 wall might have been a decent compromise. If you think .049 is tough to weld, try welding up a bunch of .035, that's fun stuff:bowdown:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I made up some lightweight strut tower braces with the .049. It's ok for that, but I'd be too worried about someone creasing it by trying to jack the car up from the LCA. .065 won't crease at all from that. The .049 welds ok on it's own, but the monoballs and ball joint hoop are kind of thick, so it gets dicey trying to get good penetration on both without burning through.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Did you FEA it?

You do have plans to anneal it, right?

Pipes are way too short to need it, it gets plenty hot when welded. Might be a good idea for the tubes if they had to be formed or bent to shape, but any defects in the metal on these tubes wouldn't show up on these short runs with such high localized heat. To further the process they have to bake for about a 1/2 hour at 400F just for the powdercoating.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info