Five miles more pre gallon

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Yup... that right i gained 5 miles more on my car just taking some tips from that guy that made 150 mpg.
When i drive like i normally do i average about 25-26 mpg. so this past week right after i filled up my car i started:
Shifting early so to keep the revs low
Not passing 3k rpm = 65mph top speed
Drafting a Semi when possible (notice of RPM go down but Semi drivers hate it when you do that)
Coasting on neutral when i know i'm going to stop at some soon or when on a steep hill (i actually gain speed on some roads when i did this)
At the next fill up i checked how i did and got 30.5 mpg. Not bad i think
I might keep this up except i feel like a grandma on valume when i'm on the highway.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Keep in mind, to get a draft off a Semi, you only need to be within something like 4 or 5 car lengths behind him, not right on his ass. (not saying you were, just making mention of it because I draft regularly in the focus)

i knew this from when i had my jeep wrangler. The reason they knew was when they changed lanes I changed with them and it was passed midnight and there was hardly any cars around.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Mine went up as well but i dont drive on the highway at all. I went from 36mpg to 38mpg just by pushing in the clutch down a few large hills where the speed limit drops and pretty much as soon as i see yellow lights or cars stopped i pop in the clutch.

i can only imagine if i had highway driving. a friend of mine has an 89 CRX Si and he just averaged 44mpg on an all highway trip hovering around 70mph.

Phreakazoid

Wallsticks, motherfucker
Dec 5, 2007
I try and do that stuff as well after learning a few things (first manual car).

I coast all the fucking time, but I'm doing highway driving for the most part so on and off ramps definitely.

I shift at 3k or a little below.

The only thing that hurts me is that I have a lead foot on highways, I'm doing a constant 75+ on 39 to and from work.

I'm also still pretty new to a manual trans. so I'm sure my shifting isn't that efficient by any means. the last time I filled I think i estimated about 28.5mpg. I know that if I swap some stuff out I can get a bit better mileage, and i'll do that in good time.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
never bothered to calculate my mpg much before. i think i get like 3 on track and 19 bs'ing around, just started keeping track tonight... if it's not so hot then i'll probably look into a 318 or something for commuting that loses less gas but still has fun potential.

Just change your driving habits, If an SUV can average around 13 mp then get nearly 10mpg more due to tune up and driving change, that little bavarian creampuff you call an M series will do it too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info