What do u guys think?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...ors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=25

7198134279.244807881.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

im thinking about getting rid of the balt and trading it in for this. it would drop my insurance from about 1300 every 6 months to 350 every 6 months. also my loan would only be about 2k and would have this car paid off in a couple months.

2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan

33,508 miles. (my balt is at 29k)

for 9,649.

this would mean no more car payment! better credit, cheaper insurance.

whatcha think?

reason im thinking this is because i dont want a car payment anymore, and insurance is rape.

and i know its a AUTO but im at the point where i just want a DD with out the urge to mod it. plus with an auto i can install a remote start without having to worry if i left it in gear. the only thing i would probably mod in this car is the stereo because its dam hideous and i need my xm! lol

positive comments only please, and opinions on the car (experiences, known problems, etc.)

thanks

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
GM 3400's = Teh headgasket leakage.

No, seriously, I personally helped replace the HG for one of those motors, and of the 2 friends I know who have these cars, both had HG failures, it sucks, and its not uncommon. Over-heating issues are another I'm aware off (linked to T-state failure/water pump failure/HG failure normally).

Also, for the output they claim they have they are quite slow (not that you care since it'd be a DD, but just figured I'd mention)

On the flip side, I personally love the styling of the GT's with the hoods like that, as well as the dash cluster etc. and working on the motor isn't TOO bad if you know what you are doing.

as far as insurance goes, it doesn't matter what you drive, if and when you live on your own, its going to be high as hell anyways, no matter what you drive.

Nasty93

Nasty93
Oct 17, 2007
The Unit

No, seriously, I personally helped replace the HG for one of those motors, and of the 2 friends I know who have these cars, both had HG failures, it sucks, and its not uncommon. Over-heating issues are another I'm aware off (linked to T-state failure/water pump failure/HG failure normally).

Also, for the output they claim they have they are quite slow (not that you care since it'd be a DD, but just figured I'd mention)

On the flip side, I personally love the styling of the GT's with the hoods like that, as well as the dash cluster etc. and working on the motor isn't TOO bad if you know what you are doing.

as far as insurance goes, it doesn't matter what you drive, if and when you live on your own, its going to be high as hell anyways, no matter what you drive.

i see things things every day, its rare to have one with a HG problem. more often then not its the LIM gaskets that have been re-designed and no longer leak. thanks for playing.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i see things things every day, its rare to have one with a HG problem. more often then not its the LIM gaskets that have been re-designed and no longer leak. thanks for playing.

QFT. Window regulators like to go out, wheel speed sensors, random clicking from the turn signal. I havent had any serious problems with mine, just a minor LIM gasket leak that was fixed when I swapped heads. For what it is, its a fairly "nice" car. Typical GM tupperware interior, but exterior styling is very nice IMO.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
ya i have no real conplaints on interior and exterior. i hate the radio but that can be changed. im not to picky when it comes to looks. silver how is it in the snow?

Ive had no problems getting around in the snow at all with it. The first year I had it, I was still on the stock Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. Ive been on goodyear triple treads for the last two winters since then and its gotten even better.

FYI its a bitch to get rid of the stock radio. Its all externally amped, all the car chimes and noises are integrated into it, and the speakers are all wierd impedences. Either have to buy a $120 adapter to use an aftermarket deck and retain the chimes and factory amp/speakers or lose the chimes and run new speaker wire and aftermarket speakers.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
hmm, well im not really into grand ams, nothing against them just not my thing. but w/ that said that seems like a pretty decent car, and would fit the bill for what youre looking for right now, financial stability. if you get it paid off quick enough it always leaves the door wide open for something else if you find it isnt your thing

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

I may have been mis-informed, I thought this was the same 3.4 as whats in the Montana van, Olds Silhouette, and Olds Aleros?

Granted the 2 I worked on were 99's I'd assume they'd revise them a fair amount by now.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i dont like the look of the base line cobalts. something about the body floating on tiny ass wheels. i love the way the ss looks but in no way am i going to stick a ss body on a lt or ls. plus the handling between a base balt and a ss is night and day. u really cant compare the 2 at all. at least with the grand am it has bigger tires and i wont be losing as much power with a v6

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i dont like the look of the base line cobalts. something about the body floating on tiny ass wheels. i love the way the ss looks but in no way am i going to stick a ss body on a lt or ls. plus the handling between a base balt and a ss is night and day. u really cant compare the 2 at all. at least with the grand am it has bigger tires and i wont be losing as much power with a v6

175hp and 215tq aint much. Its daaaaamn slow stock.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.

Actually what those engines are prone to are intake manifold gasket failures, which in effect can result in a blown headgasket due to overheating from loss of coolant through the intake mani gasket. Cheap and easy fix, do it at 50k miles and don't worry about it for a long time.

Those cars are nothing special though. I'd rather put the money into a used camry.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I've been driving an 01' Alero for the past 2 years/76K miles (With the 3400 motor, they are the same as the Grand Am GT under the sheet metal.); I got it at 66K and it now has 139K on it. All I've had to do was the LIM gasket and I just replaced the front wheel bearings. The LIM is the factory fault with the motor and usually starts leaking at 70K; once it's replaced, it's fixed for good. The wheel bearings are bolted in and take about an hour to do both; they're as easy to do as brakes. They have good power and get over 30 mpg on the highway.

The best part is they do tend to hold their value; I just sold the Alero for $4800 yesterday with 139K on it still running great and looking good.

The 3100 motor was more known in the lower line cars and vans and is prown to intake and head gasket problems.

I'd do it then buy a bike once it's paid off.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
They are pretty nice cars for what they are. My mom has a GT exactly like that, minus the ram air hood. 2004, black, 4 door GT with 42k on it. We've had it for just over a month and it's pretty nice.

The LIM gasket failures are prone to happen on 99% of every 3100/3400 GM V6. Our old Venture's went at 55k, however my dad's 03 Grand Prix with the 3100 has 94k on the original LIM gasket.

Overall I think you'll be happy with it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info