My car needs to go on a major diet.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
So I went to the metal recyling place by my work this morning. They weigh before/after the metal is out. 3600 loaded, and my street weight is 3420 with me in it. So with just the pass seat out and exhaust removed I should be at 3115 without me in it. I wanted a street weight of 3000 dry. Kind of bummed, don't know any cheap ways to remove that much weight. Also this was with only about 1/8th or below in the tank...

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
F/R bumper supports
upper and lower mounts fabricated
side braces (engine)
AC system
Cruise
power seat assembly
sound deadning
drilled holes in things
horn
WW system
trunk carpet
spare/jack

I guess that's about it, probably more I can't think of. I already took out all the weight I added from stereo and crap. Car was at 3090 last track visit w/o me in it, but that was the whole interior and carpet that I need for the street.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
ABS is on the to do list
Not so sure on the windows
You mean the horns that hook the the bumper support?
I'm thinking of a CF solution for the mirrors and sunroof glass.

Mirrors. I say gut the motors out of them and hard-mount 'em.

I have a friend that can do the 1/4 windows to look stock with oem weatherstripping. when tinted you cant even tell.

i would do tinted lexan for the sunroof too. you could pull everything out of the sunroof too and just mount the slug in place.

you already have the plastic gas tank?

you could ditch the window squirters with bottle and everything.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Mirrors. I say gut the motors out of them and hard-mount 'em.

I have a friend that can do the 1/4 windows to look stock with oem weatherstripping. when tinted you cant even tell.

i would do tinted lexan for the sunroof too. you could pull everything out of the sunroof too and just mount the slug in place.

you already have the plastic gas tank?

you could ditch the window squirters with bottle and everything.

Window squirters are long gone.

I have the metal tank still. I was thinking CF for the sunroof, I've run Lexan on the street before on other cars. It's nice, but it scratches so easy I'm scared to do it again. The 1/4 windows may be OK since they are stationary, do you have any idea of what that would cost?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
tail lights are a little heavy. just use a old set and remove the front lens. Tape the lights to the back side and throw a small amount of make a gasket to keep it to the car.

you can find at least 50-60lbs of BS behind the dash. all you need to do is fab few small mounts to keep it from falling off.

Ditch the stereo and speakers, drive around with an ipod and set of small desk top speakers if you need somthing to listen to. Use the space in the dash to mount switchs or your ipod. Factory amp is also a pound or two

Ditch the POS metal gas tank for a plastic one or a fuel cell

run coilovers in the rear(18lbs lighter then stock)

Fab up a new seat mount for the passenger like your drivers seat.

scuff the wheel wells for any excess rubber

Some of the GP rearview mirrors are lighter then others. If you have any lights or onstar on your mirror, find a basemodel one...or you can use some fishing line and your wifes compact:s00ls:.

debadge it and use stickers.

the cheap aftermarket front bumpers weigh less then OEM..about a pound and a half or so.

The sunroof is heavy. I would not suggest replacing with lexan if you want to still use it. It would be hard to seal and might bend while going back in. The stock one does slightly but its thick and can take the abuse

It would cost about $40-50 in lexan to fab the tiny windows.....tho they are very light from the factory.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info