Anyone changed a tierod?????

kubusio

Regular
Apr 28, 2005
UPDATE---Anyone changed a tierod?????UPDATE

I noticed that one of my tierods is bad and what pisses me off the most is that the dealer replaced the same one over a year ago so they wont warranty the work.

How hard is it to change it? Anyone done it?

Dealer wants to charge me $400 bucks with allignment but if I can do it myself than its only around $100 for the allignment.

LOOOKKKK DOWN FEW POSTS FOR THE UPDATE

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
kubusio said:
I noticed that one of my tierods is bad and what pisses me off the most is that the dealer replaced the same one over a year ago so they wont warranty the work.

How hard is it to change it? Anyone done it?

Dealer wants to charge me $400 bucks with allignment but if I can do it myself than its only around $100 for the allignment.

Easy job... 10 ~ 30 minutes + alignment.

If you want to bring it to So. side I will do it for you.

Vince

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
kubusio said:
yes sir the one in the rack. I cant find anything on the net about replacing it :crying:

Let me crawl under my car and look @ it... I know shelby did something w/ his rack, except I think he replaced the whole thing. It might be on the Ford CD also.

Ok, doesn't look like that much fun. Got to remove the boot to know exactly what's up. I'm sure someone w/ experience can chime in whether or not this is a good job to tackle.

Attachments

• Power Steering Gear.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 50

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
The inner tie rod on a Mustang isn't that hard to change out. The steering rack is in an accessible spot and it can be done without removing the entire rack from the car. Get the car jacked up and on jack stands, take the tire off, remove the outer tie rod first, then go after the inner one. The boot comes off easily, just cut the clamp holding it on, can use a wire tie when putting the boot back on. Use a big wrench to loosen and remove the inner tie rod. Install the new part and reassemble. :biggthump

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
a long rack comes assembled with everything except outer tie rod ends. i have not seen a short rack for our cars.

i replaced my whole rack when my drivers side inner tie rod end started to go clicky click, but im into overkill.

dont forget a pair of new teflon o-rings for the power steering hoses.

Mystic Terminator said:
So the answer is to replace the whole rack?

Will the rack come with the inner tie rods?

I got the Band-it tool to do the clamps.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
a long rack comes assembled with everything except outer tie rod ends. i have not seen a short rack for our cars.

i replaced my whole rack when my drivers side inner tie rod end started to go clicky click, but im into overkill.

dont forget a pair of new teflon o-rings for the power steering hoses.

So do you think he should replace the entire rack? Seems like to me if this is the 2nd time in a year there is a problem with the opposite end of the inner tie rod. I assume the rack has the socket end and the inner tie rod the ball end. If they replaced the inner tie rod a year ago and it has to be done again, it must need the entire rack and they did not see the collateral damage that was there before.

Any problems w/ burping or getting air out of the system?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
i agree. its precisely why i replaced my entire rack the first time. life's too short to chase the same problem repeatedly.

i had no bleeding issues. power steering systems are generally self-bleeding. turn the wheels back and forth a few times.

i got my rack and new tie rod ends from http://www.performancepartsinc.com/main.htm

Mystic Terminator said:
So do you think he should replace the entire rack? Seems like to me if this is the 2nd time in a year there is a problem with the opposite end of the inner tie rod. I assume the rack has the socket end and the inner tie rod the ball end. If they replaced the inner tie rod a year ago and it has to be done again, it must need the entire rack and they did not see the collateral damage that was there before.

Any problems w/ burping or getting air out of the system?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
i got my rack and new tie rod ends from http://www.performancepartsinc.com/main.htm

John - Link no good

nm - link now works 3 minutes later.

kubusio, if you want help let me know. As John said, you should probably get another rack. Otherwise get the tie rod end and we can do it @ my house. I got the band-it tool for the clamp.

We could always pull it apart, investigate and put it together and then buy the parts. But is it worth two trips to do this? :dunno:

kubusio

Regular
Apr 28, 2005
UPDATE...................

FINISHED CHANGING THE INNER TIEROD AND ITS ONE OF THE EASIEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE.

IT TOOK ME ABOUT 45MIN AND THE TIEROD COST ME $39. WHY DID THE DEALER WANT TO CHARGE ME AROUND $400 INCLUDING ALIGNMENT :dunno:

NOW ALL I NEED IS AN ALIGNMENT AND MY SESPENSION MODS ARE FINISHED. :alcoholic

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
kubusio said:
UPDATE...................

FINISHED CHANGING THE INNER TIEROD AND ITS ONE OF THE EASIEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE.

IT TOOK ME ABOUT 45MIN AND THE TIEROD COST ME $39. WHY DID THE DEALER WANT TO CHARGE ME AROUND $400 INCLUDING ALIGNMENT :dunno:

NOW ALL I NEED IS AN ALIGNMENT AND MY SESPENSION MODS ARE FINISHED. :alcoholic

Cool...

I think Firestone had lifetime 4 wheel alignment for $99.00. If they still have that offer it might me worthwhile...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info