Want to keep/sell car, not junk it. Opinions?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I have in my driveway a 97 Taurus SHO (3.4 V8), well two of them. A red one and a silver one (cam failure). The silver one was mainly for some parts (could be used for more parts still) --- and the red one which was my DD for a year.

One day the red ones engine? just locked up with no warning (sounds, or lights) while cruising at 40mph. The starter cannot turn the engine over. A month or so prior to that, I had a rebuilt trans installed, which was pefectly fine, as well as a new alternator, motor mounts, and aluminum subframe bushings. I had tried putting a breaker bar on the crank and spinning it, and it will not spin. I also towed it to a local mom and pop shop, they tried the same thing, and immediately wrote it off as an engine.

The engine had been well taken care of, and "welded", seeing as I bought it from a Gen 3 SHO enthusiast that some may know of, Eric Lehmann.

Now. I'm assuming that its the engine thats locked up. The engine never used oil while I owned it, and I always changed the oil every 3k, so I hadnt neglected that. Though I dont know if it would be possible for the trans having just been rebuilt to play a part in this situation.

I know a 10 year old Taurus is worth absolutely zilch, and one that doesnt run is worth less than that, but if I can get this thing running for the cost of a junkyard engine, and some fluids, then I'll hold onto it, or pass it onto one of my car-less friends after a little TLC.

So.

A) Is there anyone that would be able to tell me that it is for SURE the engine thats locked up, and not a trans related issue? and..

B) If it is indeed the engine, does anyone know of someone that would want to undertake swapping the engine in a tightly cramped Taurus for a fair price? I would find the engine, and supply it, I just dont have the tools, knowledge, and room (building, garage) to do it.

The silver one could be used for parts, if needed to get the red one running, OR if it deemed totally useless in this matter, I will have it towed away.

-Nick

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Wow that blows, what type of trans, Auto or Manual....

Manual: Push down clutch before trying to turn over engine

Automatic: the torque converter should a low engine to turn independent of trans, but If it doesn't, trun turning motor while trans is in neutral

This way you are moving the motor internals separate from the trans internals, Normally I would recommend disconnecting the Torque converter in an automatic, but If you cant turn it, you can,t get it disconnected while engine and trans are still in car

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have in my driveway a 97 Taurus SHO (3.4 V8), well two of them. A red one and a silver one (cam failure). The silver one was mainly for some parts (could be used for more parts still) --- and the red one which was my DD for a year.

One day the red ones engine? just locked up with no warning (sounds, or lights) while cruising at 40mph. The starter cannot turn the engine over. A month or so prior to that, I had a rebuilt trans installed, which was pefectly fine, as well as a new alternator, motor mounts, and aluminum subframe bushings. I had tried putting a breaker bar on the crank and spinning it, and it will not spin. I also towed it to a local mom and pop shop, they tried the same thing, and immediately wrote it off as an engine.

The engine had been well taken care of, and "welded", seeing as I bought it from a Gen 3 SHO enthusiast that some may know of, Eric Lehmann.

Now. I'm assuming that its the engine thats locked up. The engine never used oil while I owned it, and I always changed the oil every 3k, so I hadnt neglected that. Though I dont know if it would be possible for the trans having just been rebuilt to play a part in this situation.

I know a 10 year old Taurus is worth absolutely zilch, and one that doesnt run is worth less than that, but if I can get this thing running for the cost of a junkyard engine, and some fluids, then I'll hold onto it, or pass it onto one of my car-less friends after a little TLC.

So.

A) Is there anyone that would be able to tell me that it is for SURE the engine thats locked up, and not a trans related issue? and..

B) If it is indeed the engine, does anyone know of someone that would want to undertake swapping the engine in a tightly cramped Taurus for a fair price? I would find the engine, and supply it, I just dont have the tools, knowledge, and room (building, garage) to do it.

The silver one could be used for parts, if needed to get the red one running, OR if it deemed totally useless in this matter, I will have it towed away.

-Nick

I have a shop that would probably do the swap for a good price and warranty their labor out in Mendota IL.

as far as checking if the engine is locked, Pull out the spark plugs, get the car off the ground with the wheels off and the car in neutral and toss a ratchet on the crank pulley and give it a spin. *Which is basically what was mentioned above my post, BTW all 96-99 SHO's are Autos 02bluegt*

When you say 'locked up' thats kinda vague, if the motor truly locked while the car was in gear I'd imagine it could lock the wheels as well, or bring you to a very VERY abrupt halt.

Also, stupid question, but have you called Eric and asked him if he could swing by and take a look at it for you? He's a REALLY stand up guy and has a passion for 3rd gens enough that he would probably come out and take a look at it for free just being a good guy.

Also, how stripped is the silver car really? Did you ever pull the heads to see if the pistons are wrecked also or if its just the valves? (Did you ever sign on for the class-action lawsuit against ford also?)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info