So Ive failed emissions twice now.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I took my car for emissions last weekend and ended up failing. The front O2 sensor wasnt ready. They told me that there is nothing wrong with the car, and I just need to drive it more. Well, 400 miles and a week later I went back and the same shit again. Ive got one more chance to take emissions, and its due by June.

I was doing some scans yesterday and noticed my O2 voltages are really erratic. At WOT they usually sit around 890mV give or take about ten. My scans had them at around 890mV then they would drop to 20 or 30mV randomly.

The car isnt throwing any codes, but to me its looking like the O2 sensor is acting up. I dont want to go out spending money and throwing parts at something not broken. Im just looking for some opinions besides my own. A few of you guys work at dealers, so I though you might be able to throw some advice my way.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
backprobe the signal wire on the sensor connector (at the O2 connector, also as a control you can do this at the PCM if your carefull with a thin T pin) and hook up a dvom and go for a drive compare your readings.

by now all of your drive cycle test should have run, have you had alot of that driving as steady 45mph+ cruise/light accel/decel? this is where most diag monitors are run on the evap/sensor response etc

i've had bad o2's more than a few times that didnt trigger a ses light so yes it can be bad

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
backprobe the signal wire on the sensor connector (at the O2 connector, also as a control you can do this at the PCM if your carefull with a thin T pin) and hook up a dvom and go for a drive compare your readings.

by now all of your drive cycle test should have run, have you had alot of that driving as steady 45mph+ cruise/light accel/decel? this is where most diag monitors are run on the evap/sensor response etc

i've had bad o2's more than a few times that didnt trigger a ses light so yes it can be bad

I'll pull out my meter and try that out. About 200 of those 400 miles were highway, between 60 and 90mph for about an hour at a time

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
your saying the front 02 goes from 900 ish to 50 ish?
thats because it supposed to, its called Min/Maxing. The engine monitoring O2 is supposed to jump, The catalyst monitoring one is supposed to stay at about 450mv (stoich)

Ahh, okay. Ive never knew that. I just know what voltage I want it to be at for tuning purposes. Im going to ohm out the heater circuit, since you said that may have taken a shit.

I'll get back to you guys with what I find.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i'm confused. they plugged it in and it said the 02 wasnt ready? i had thought they only checked for dtc's or pending codes.

Emissions tests are often misunderstood, all OBD2 cars have what are called readiness monitors, While most of your emissions equipment is running continually, it only gets tested during very specific conditions of load, temp and many other variables. The readiness monitors can be in 3 positions, not run, run/pass, and run/fail. If they say it is not ready than the monitor hasn't run yet. When you delete codes it resets all monitors to not run, so that is why you cant clear a code than just go pass emissions:bigthumb:....

now to the issue at hand, Do you have a stock temp thermostat, or a lower one, cause the 02 readiness monitor probably requires operating temp of 180*(just a guess)..... A full mod list may help us diagnose :smile:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Emissions tests are often misunderstood, all OBD2 cars have what are called readiness monitors, While most of your emissions equipment is running continually, it only gets tested during very specific conditions of load, temp and many other variables. The readiness monitors can be in 3 positions, not run, run/pass, and run/fail. If they say it is not ready than the monitor hasn't run yet. When you delete codes it resets all monitors to not run, so that is why you cant clear a code than just go pass emissions:bigthumb:....

now to the issue at hand, Do you have a stock temp thermostat, or a lower one, cause the 02 readiness monitor probably requires operating temp of 180*(just a guess)..... A full mod list may help us diagnose :smile:

correct

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
if you deleted codes then that's it. I did the same thing. You need to get the codes taken care of.

There are no codes.... anymore. My TPS was acting up so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. When I started the car it threw a code, so I removed all the DTCs with my powertuner. Then the next day, I cleared them again to make sure nothing was on there before I tested. I guess I fucked myself then. :s00ls:

Hopefully thats all it is now, because this is my last try at it. :tear:

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Also to ensure all ready checks have been made, be sure to drive the car ALOT directly before you go to the DMV. Don't just do the highway cruise it might take you to get there. Put 10-15 miles on it in town too and make sure it's at full operating temperature. This was more of an issue with OBD1 cars, but again it may help to ensure all ready checks have been completed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info