HP Twin Turbo or 2.2 KB ?? Which way to make my GT shine ??

O

oohsoobad2

Considering either a 2.2 KB or HP twin turbo setup on my GT. Both kits can support 700 RWHP. HP seems to be the early favorite. $4500 vs $5300 although Id likely upgrade the turbos.
A short block would be needed in either case, but the HP kit apparently can be used on a stock short block but the KB isnt reccomended. Id like to do my power adder then a short block later. Yet another downside to the KB, Id want some long tube headers, so figure in atleast $500 more there.
The HP kit comes with everything needed and doesnt require a tubular K member like other turbo kits. Also dont need to purchase a hood, fuel sytem, mass air, injectors etc.
Given the similar price range it makes it a tough call. I believe the KB would make better down low torque which is what I want in my street car. However the HP TT would be cheaper and need less boost to make the same power.

Sounds like the HP TT kit is the best ang for the buck right now

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Turbos > Superchargers

Less boost to make the same power, lower IAT2 temps, no parasitic loss, no belt issues, much more streetable when making big power, easier to uprgrade.

Either way, on a stock engine 400rwhp is about all Id go, and both can do that easily.

O

oohsoobad2

Well, HP's site doesnt say a K member is required and cost is $4495. Another site lists that K member is required and cost is $6400 for a stage 1 and $6900 for stage 2. Thats quite a bit more than the HP site even if it includes a tubular suspension.

The $6400 stage 1 kit is pretty through and would probably be close to the cost of gettin the 2.2 KB up and running, 5300+injectors+mass air+fuel system+new hood and paint.

O

oohsoobad2

Thats true too, but for some reason a single turbo on a V8 doesnt do it for me..lol
Im not saying it cant make power, because it obviously can make great numbers, but routing both manifolds together and then having a Y pipe for exhaust just doesnt sit right with me. Not to mention that a most single kits Ive found seem to be about the same price as a twin.

Most vendors who have fought with HP Performance will tell you they would never again install one of their kits. Check out my link below to see why. Bob

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCar.php?car=26

oohsoobad2 said:
Considering either a 2.2 KB or HP twin turbo setup on my GT. Both kits can support 700 RWHP. HP seems to be the early favorite. $4500 vs $5300 although Id likely upgrade the turbos.
A short block would be needed in either case, but the HP kit apparently can be used on a stock short block but the KB isnt reccomended. Id like to do my power adder then a short block later. Yet another downside to the KB, Id want some long tube headers, so figure in atleast $500 more there.
The HP kit comes with everything needed and doesnt require a tubular K member like other turbo kits. Also dont need to purchase a hood, fuel sytem, mass air, injectors etc.
Given the similar price range it makes it a tough call. I believe the KB would make better down low torque which is what I want in my street car. However the HP TT would be cheaper and need less boost to make the same power.

Sounds like the HP TT kit is the best ang for the buck right now

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info