Brake squeal 2001 Explorer Sport Trac

This thread is regarding my mom's truck.

It is a 2001 ford explorer sport trac, 4x4 with 4.10s and the 4.0L SOHC.

The problem is when under light brake pressure the brakes squeal, but only sometimes. Sometimes under hard braking and sometimes not.

The truck now sits at 115000 miles. About 5000 miles ago we put new pads and rotors on the front, all the top of the line Wagner. Still squealed. About 10,000 miles before that it was in for some recall work and through some warranty from the place of purchase they installed motorcraft pads onto the old rotors.

Through all this it squeals. Tonight I took the calipers off and greased the slide pins, greased the metal insulator on the caliper/pad bracket, and sprayed some anti-squeal on the back of the pads. The squeal got quieter but it's still there. Also while up in the air I changed the oil with mobil 1 :)

Any ideas on the brakes? They have squealed since we got the truck at about 90,000 miles. Runs great, stops fine too. I dunno if it's the nature of the setup, and don't say it's a Ford, this I already know :p. Perhaps the style calipers they used this year was crap??

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
A brake squeal can be caused by "not properly wearing in the brake rotors" when installed new. (according to Roger Donovan GM-ASEP Teacher/Technician ASE Certified at ICC in East Peoria, IL)

If I remember him telling right, when installing new rotors make sure they are clean of debris, and you should do several light to moderate stops to properly wear in the rotors. Another problem could be very light excessive lateral run out of the rotors on the hub.

This one doesn't have those. The pads are still perfectly thick and the rotors are wearing nice and even on all sides. And the backing plates are not hittin the rotors. It's definitely a squeal from the pads themselves. I run these pads at my work (thats what they supply me on customer cars) and they never have this issue. This truck must just not like brake pads?

Thanks for the idea though. This truck is in really good condition otherwise.

A brake squeal can be caused by "not properly wearing in the brake rotors" when installed new. (according to Roger Donovan GM-ASEP Teacher/Technician ASE Certified at ICC in East Peoria, IL)

If I remember him telling right, when installing new rotors make sure they are clean of debris, and you should do several light to moderate stops to properly wear in the rotors. Another problem could be very light excessive lateral run out of the rotors on the hub.

Those were complete too. I'm pretty anal about my work and sometimes it takes me longer to finish but I make sure it's right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info