Car and Driver makes the GT-R look bad?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From the CarDomain Blog:

This Is Why We Sucked: Car and Driver Does a Bunch of Crying About Skyline GT-R's One Lap Performance

Tony Swan of Car and Driver, who ran the Nissan GT-R in this year's One Lap of America, has apparently gotten a lot of static about finishing "only" 11th in the overall standings and feels understandably prevailed upon to justify the much-hyped supercar's performance. But oddly, the article that appears for this purpose on the Car and Driver website mostly just comes across as a load of whiny diapers. Though he blames everything from tires to computer technology, much of the apologia centers on the "fateful" autocross challenge at BeaveRun, where Tony got confused and went off course, resulting in a DNF and a minor tantrum by the driver, who reportedly stormed off in a huff, gunning the GT-R through a paddock populated by spectators. Probably not his proudest moment, but in the ensuing drama, it nonetheless became the spearhead for a movement to award a bunch of "bonus points" to those who failed to negotiate the autocross course successfully. Fortunately, common sense eventually prevailed, with the organizers confirming that a DNF is a DNF and that it wasn't in the spirit of the event to compensate teams for poor performance. Seems perfectly reasonable, though Tony apparently has a different sense of how it all went down. It's clear that he's endeavoring to be candid and honest about what happened, but having a GT-R fall on its face in multiple events turns out to be not the easiest thing to explain away. Read Tony's article here to decide for yourself if he gives a satisfactory defense of the GT-R's finish.

The Article: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._lap_of_america_we_race_a_nissan_gt_r_feature

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I know, WTF?

Did you catch the line about the dragstrip,

"I should also report that my elapsed time in the quarter-mile run—12.8 seconds—was more than a second slower than expectations. This was due to my inability to make the launch control work in a drag-strip environment, which entails creeping up to the staging lights at the starting line."

He's trying to blame the poor times on the "drag strip environment" which is only one of the most focused-upon specs in their magazine and road tests, and he doesn't know what to do? weak.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i could kind of see where he is coming from with the drag strip comment... anybody here who has ever been to the drag strip knows that you prettymuch just stage up and go....the whole process from pulling up to the 2nd staging light to the green light is mabye what? 3 or 4 seconds... if you have to pull up and worry about flipping this switch and holding that switch to engage the launch mode, i could see that being a serious problem in a realistic drag strip enviornment.... if you are just making a solo run, then who cares? just take all the time you want, but if you are racing heads up its a different story

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info