Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:eek3:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=5522192&postcount=59

Ok guys here are some pictures. I know it sounds like a fluke, but take a look at where it broke and please don't write it off so easily just because you like the car. This could be a serious issue and it WILL happen to someone else eventually. The plastic pedal is very strong. It has cross bracing and a backing plate molded in for extra strength. It would be very hard to break there, BUT where mine broke was where the back plating ends and there is just the thin cross bracing. There is also a distinct line there in the plastic mold where it broke, which I cannot capture in a photo.

pedal1.jpg

pedal2.jpg

pedal4.jpg

I have been very pleased with this car, and I have been a very loyal EVO owner. I have 2 in my garage and my next door neighbor purchased one so that we could enjoy them together. My dealer has treated me very well over the years, and I have responded by coming in to purchase cars at full price. My car was dropped off last night after hours and this morning the service manager called me and said that they sent photos to Tech at Mitsubishi and they are reviewing it. I was also told that they have some kind of information that I was racing the car and that they would be voiding my warranty altogether. I was at the dealer 10 minutes later to resolve that issue. My warranty is in tact. That was some sort of threat.

Please note that the pedal did not break as I was banging gears or making a hard change. I was sitting still with the clutch pressed in, and pushed the gas. As I pushed the gas the pedal cracked. It felt strange, but I released the clutch and SNAP...it broke all the way off. I would have left this all alone had my dealer just said "Sure we will replace the $140 part no problem" If that were the case, you probably wouldn't be reading this. Just keep an eye out guys. I'm not here trying to b*tch. It could be your family in the car when it breaks and your car noses over and gets plastered from behind....or worse yet, breaks in a manner that causes the accelerator to stick.

The good news is that Mitsubishi is very good about resolving things like this and if there is a problem they will take care of it shortly. My dealer HAS done the right thing at this point. Mitsubishi has refused to warranty the pedal, but after further conversation with my dealer, they are going to take care of it themselves.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
yea, i heard about the recall on cobras....

and machines break? come on man u cant be serious....car companies have been making gas pedals forever now, shit like this shouldnt happen even if this turns out to be the only case

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
and machines break? come on man u cant be serious....car companies have been making gas pedals forever now, shit like this shouldnt happen even if this turns out to be the only case

i agree it shouldnt happen, but lets say your company makes 200,000 parts a year... some of those are going to be defective, its just simple probability

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
have any of you guys been inside a new evo? i went to check one out and mabye do a little trade with my civic if i liked what i saw.... let me tell you, you are not getting alot of car for $45k !!!!! the interior is worse than a base model cobalt! i know the performance of the super handeling all whell control is soposed to be amazing, but with the interior being as shitty as it is, i could not see spending that much on an evo when i could easily have a new LS3 vette

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
someone trying to cut weight?:dunno:

some plastics can be stronger than some metals... evidently this was not the case...

x2....But yeah the metals that are lighter and stronger are uber expensive, shit breaks it happens, companies are gonna try new things, some of its gonna work some of it won't. I'm mean it's hard to test EVERY single component on the car to failure.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
IIRC, brake pedals are supposed to be one of the strongest components on the car, they never break. Now how much more money does it cost to make the gas and clutch pedal upto the same standard? It can't be much. Add the extra 100$ to the price.

It costs more to make the plastic ones rather then the metal ones. Its just cheaper for them to farm out the plastic work rather then the metal work. Yet the prices go up for cheaper products every day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info