2003 GSXR 600 issues

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
What's up bike crew.. I been working on my guys 03 gsxr doing the basic stuff and also had to change the oil pan due to stripped plug..When i took out the old pan, i found a bunch of Hardened Plastic Shavings at the bottom of the pan. (picture below).. I had no idea what could of been hardened plastic in the motor so i went to suzuki.. The guy had no clue the first time i went.. I went again a few days ago to pick up some parts and talked to the guy again about it.

The bike has a tick coming from the center of the motor..After discussing the tick and the plastic shavings. We came to conclusion that it could be the Cam Chain tensioner went bad and the chain is smacking the guides. (Which are hardened black plastic) I did a lil reasearch and noticed that the tensioner going out is a common problem with the older GSXRs..

The bike did sit for quite a while without oil in it..And it appears that the previous owner road this thing hard.. The rear rim has a few bends and has a crack in it as well..My buddy has only riden the bike once because the tire kept going flat. And when i received the bike i caught the crack.

Anyways, i was wondering if anyone has done this sort of job and how much of a PITA it is replacing the tensioner and guides. Suzuki wants roughly 600 for parts n labor..I'm thinking about tackling the issue my self.

I saw that a lot of people go with the manual Tensioners..I know i gotta take the tank off again and take off the valve covers,etc.etc.

Any thoughts?comments?tips?opinions?

Some of the shavings i found in the oil pan.
photobucket-4606-1331947156931.jpg

emotart

I Can Has Evo?!
Mar 11, 2012
Winfield, IL
Replacing the tensioner is not that hard (I did the tensioner on my R6 in 15 mins), but I don't know about replacing the guides. If you have pulled a head off of a car, it shouldn't be that difficult for you. I have see guys shim valves and so on in there driveway on a nice day, that had very little mechanical knowledge. Just take your time and it should work out for ya.

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Thats what i was thinking about..if i should for sure replace the guides since they are getting chewed up. I know replacing the tensioner will be cake, just don't know if it'll resolve the issue of chewing up the guides. I think it might as well be done, better off going through that than having to replace a motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.