iPass

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I'd say about 70% of the time I don't have my transponder since I have a tinted windshield and didn't want to put it on since it would rip the tint off. Never had any issues, just debits your account as normal. They may send you a letter saying to get a new transponder after a while, don't really know.

I did get a front plate transponder, but I take my plate off so much it isnt on there often. That could be a solution if you have a front plate.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd say about 70% of the time I don't have my transponder since I have a tinted windshield and didn't want to put it on since it would rip the tint off. Never had any issues, just debits your account as normal. They may send you a letter saying to get a new transponder after a while, don't really know.

I did get a front plate transponder, but I take my plate off so much it isnt on there often. That could be a solution if you have a front plate.

tinted windshield

:fy:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I want it darker.... it's at 50% right now.

Maybe when I have my tints redone. I have a feeling I'll be dropping lots of monies at PAF in the near future. I need a detail too.

:fy:

mine is 35% i love it.

I can't even find a place that is willing to do it :dunno: they keep saying that when the 'wet' the window to apply the tint there is a danger of the water running down behind the dash and damaging the electronics...

never heard that one.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
i never have it in my car. as long as the car is registered with them, you dont need it.

According to the tollways website after an undisclosed number of license plate only tolls (i.e. not having the transponder in the registered vehicle) they will start to issue tickets. No idea how true that is or if it is just a scare tactic, but it IS in their regulations.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
They are full of shit. I almost NEVER have the thing in one of the cars and never a problem.

They issued me a fine when I didnt register the cobra but I just called them, registerd...back to normal.

Ive been doing this since i got an ipass many moons ago.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
They are full of shit. I almost NEVER have the thing in one of the cars and never a problem.

They issued me a fine when I didnt register the cobra but I just called them, registerd...back to normal.

Ive been doing this since i got an ipass many moons ago.

You're in luck, they seem to have given up and changed their policy.

From the tollway's website, no mention of the limited number anymore:

Sometimes tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This happens because the transponder signal was not read. Transponder signals are not read because of a missing, improperly mounted or an inactive transponder. These transactions are digitally recorded ( a photo of the license plate) and later matched to the license plate on your I-PASS account. The toll is then posted to your account. These digitally recorded tolls are referred to as Vtolls.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I just hold it up to the window when I'm going passed a toll :dunno:

This is what I do, once in a while, when I feel like it.
But more often then not I just go through it.
I remember when I would try and pull my ipass out of my pocket on the bike while riding and after 2 times I just said fuck it. Never use it on the bike ever in 4 years. Nobody has said anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.