Shackle failure is no joke

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It fucking sucks. I know this is a 'cool story bro' moment, but this was my first time dealing with a suspension failure and learning how to use a grinder on frame rivits

I spent my entire Sunday removing this mangled wad of hanger and shackle from the tail of my roomates ranger:

45aea2a3.jpg

What it looked like when we were done:

93eef7ba.jpg

Took nearly 10 hours (ended up replacing everything suspension wise with parts from my old truck...). Was suppose to just need a fuel pump...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Here is the kicker, it had ALREADY partially failed. I wish I had a pic of it still on the truck...

The Shackle had completely failed (you can see the rust in the pic) and the spring was shoved up into the hanger, which was twisted back almost to the bed. One solid pothole would have had some interesting results...

The only shackles we had were my lowering ones (which actually LIFTS the truck if the spring is in the stock over axle position), so his truck now has an 1.5-2.0" lift in the back :rofl:.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
might want to inspect your rusty vehicle for pieces which have rusted entirely through once in awhile, eh? :hsugh:

My roommate literally drives his car 1 mile to work and back, That's about all he drives, and has driven for the past year. Once every week or 2 he will visit his family (10 min away) or a female friend of his (also 10 min away).

I'm glad it's all knocked out now though.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Rust =/ Unreliable :bowrofl:.

This failure has nothing to do with it being a Ranger, Period.

Debate that. Uncle-in-law's Ranger had the same shit happen to it. What's fucked up is the under side of it's CLEAN with barely any rust, just the hangers and shackles decided they needed to peace out. Stock hangers gave it probably 1-2 inches of lift in the back compared to the smashed in ones he had. Why the hell the NTSB hasn't stepped in on this I'll never know. Probably hasn't killed enough people or something.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Debate that. Uncle-in-law's Ranger had the same shit happen to it. What's fucked up is the under side of it's CLEAN with barely any rust, just the hangers and shackles decided they needed to peace out. Stock hangers gave it probably 1-2 inches of lift in the back compared to the smashed in ones he had. Why the hell the NTSB hasn't stepped in on this I'll never know. Probably hasn't killed enough people or something.

Rust related failures require some pretty serious failure for the NTSB to step in (ala steering components like the recent Jeep and Suburban ones, or Frames ala Tacoma/Tundras).

The failure never compromised the truck, and it is an area that gets COATED in crap through normal wear and tear.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened, I'm just saying that I don't feel that rangers aren't really notorious for rust issues outside of the norm IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.