Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Suzuki Gladius

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
So I'm looking to pick up my first bike. I want something sporty but not a supersport. I love the naked bike look and the fact that you sit in a more upright position.

So I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. The Yamaha FZ6 and the Suzuki Gladius.

I have found brand new 2009 model years of both these bikes for killer deals.

Here is my dilemma. The Yamaha I have found for $5700 but they do not have as good of financing. 3.99% for 36 months. The Suzuki I have found for $5999 but it is in Texas so I would have to add $500 for shipping. However Suzuki has 0% for 60 months which is pretty awesome.

My other dilemma is the difference in the bikes. I am a huge Yamaha:nutz:. I have read reviews online and both bikes get good reviews. The Yamaha is a faster bike but since it is a inline 4 you need to be in the revs to get that power and its not as smooth. The Suzuki being a v-twin has a much smoother power delivery but it's not as fast.

I am basically looking to see if anyone has had any experience with either bike and can give me their $.02.

Yamaha
2009-Yamaha-FZ6f-small.jpg

Suzuki
2009_Suzuki_SFV_650_Gladius_Black.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm 6'2" @ 215-220 give or take, and was at the Motorcycle show last month.

I know it's more money, but this was bar-none my favorite bike of the show:

http://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure.aspx - NC700

121011-2012-honda-nc700s-nc700x-04.jpg

The FZ6 felt/looked big compared to the Honda and Suzuki you are looking at (Albeit I liked the Suzuki quite a bit too), but the Honda is more powerful, has helmet storage built right into it, has a lower slung fuel tank for a better balanced ride, and is well... A Honda....

I also thought the Suzuki felt a little on the small side for someone of my size IIRC.

I honestly liked the SV650 more than the "Gladius" though (The Precursor to it), you can find them used with low miles for good prices because they got replaced.

sv650.jpg

I've been long-term shopping for a bike of this nature and just haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah not a big fan of the "adventure" or "dual sport" type bikes. they have this weird look as though they are shaped like a "V"

I do like the SV650 as well but there are not any new ones and I don't have the cash in my pocket to buy one outright

It's called an "Adventure" bike, but it is the direct competition to the two others you are looking at. All it really means is it has a more up-right seating position from what I've seen, which seemed to be more the style of bike you are looking at.

You can finance a used bike easily enough, Interest rates are AMAZING right now if you don't have garbage credit.

The other bike I was considering was a used Buell Blast. Same look, but can be had VERY cheaply (Sub 2k). I've read lots of good stuff about them, and the problems they have are all fairly minimal, but they are only 500cc, so I fear I'd get bored of it. As a commuter bike it would be perfect though:

2006-Buell-Blastd.jpg

Back to your OP though, I'd take the Suzuki over the Yamaha honestly. It just felt unusually big compared to the others, like it would be more unwieldy even at my size.

KagA152

Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Columbus, IN
the fz6 is a little bigger than the gladius iirc, been a while since i sat on either one. have you sat on both? the fz6 is surprisingly torquey for a 4 cylinder, i know thats how they advertise it, but it really is much more usable power

i would shy away from the blast, especially people your size. im 5"10 200 and i feel like im riding a mini bike, plus the thing is bound to rattle apart at any time

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i would shy away from the blast, especially people your size. im 5"10 200 and i feel like im riding a mini bike, plus the thing is bound to rattle apart at any time

The Blast is a "Thumper"/Single cylinder, so it does feel quite a bit different. I was just tossing it out there since it was Buell's competition to this style of bike before they went away.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'd still recommend going and sitting on a NC700 just for shits and grins before you pull the trigger on one of the other two IMO. I know it's just personal opinion, but it felt/fit perfectly for me, and I'm about your size. That Suzuki may be smaller than you think if you haven't sat on one yet/before.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
It's called an "Adventure" bike, but it is the direct competition to the two others you are looking at. All it really means is it has a more up-right seating position from what I've seen, which seemed to be more the style of bike you are looking at.

You can finance a used bike easily enough, Interest rates are AMAZING right now if you don't have garbage credit.

The other bike I was considering was a used Buell Blast. Same look, but can be had VERY cheaply (Sub 2k). I've read lots of good stuff about them, and the problems they have are all fairly minimal, but they are only 500cc, so I fear I'd get bored of it. As a commuter bike it would be perfect though:

2006-Buell-Blastd.jpg

Back to your OP though, I'd take the Suzuki over the Yamaha honestly. It just felt unusually big compared to the others, like it would be more unwieldy even at my size.

oh and dont buy one of these they are slow as balls and evean buell makes fun of them in some of there adds