older cars vs newer cars with the same mileage

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I guess it depends on the individual vehicles. I'd think the high mileage newer vehicles have to have a lot of highway mileage on them which would be better then all stop and go.

I'd be more concerned about how well it's been taken care of inside (hopefully its an indication of the rest of the vehicle) and I'd also be looking at the suspension components around that mileage.

Are you financing? It might be easier to finance a newer vehicle even with higher mileage vs an older vehicle with less.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I emailed the dealership I bought the trailblazer from about an 01 Dodge Caravan with 71k.

I have a feeling they'll be asking some ridiculous amount of money since how low the mileage is.

But, on the flip side, I'm finding vans 06+ with same mileage and they're double the price.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
my mentality is if I finance something I don't want to make payments on a car that has over 100k. I
Also feel, even though its clearly not true with my impala, that the reliability goes does once 100k mile mark is hit.

BUT, Look at the trailblazer, it had 80k and needed a new motor.

:fu: just thinking out loud._

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Makes sense. I cringe knowing I've got 120k and still owe some on my car.

It's all about how it's taken care of and the reliability of the car in question. When I think of an 01 caravan I don't really think reliability. Old dodge/chryslers sucked. New ones seem much better (in general).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I still can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to finance a car to use for your delivery job... What if you change paths, get laid off, etc? IIRC you had posted that you didn't even make big money doing this work... Financing a car which you will put upteen million miles on is a dangerous/poor investment IMO. If you get a warranty, you will rip through it, and if you don't, you risk it breaking down while having a payment.

Just buy a used 4 banger ranger or S10 for cheap with a cap in cash. They can be had for less than $2k all day... If the issue is that you don't have that much capital, I'd stick it out with the impala until you do.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I still can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to finance a car to use for your delivery job... What if you change paths, get laid off, etc? IIRC you had posted that you didn't even make big money doing this work... Financing a car which you will put upteen million miles on is a dangerous/poor investment IMO.

Just buy a used 4 banger ranger or S10 for cheap with a cap in cash. They can be had for less than $2k all day... If the issue is that you don't have that much capital, I'd stick it out with the impala until you do.

404 answer to his question not found

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I emailed the dealership I bought the trailblazer from about an 01 Dodge Caravan with 71k.

I have a feeling they'll be asking some ridiculous amount of money since how low the mileage is.

But, on the flip side, I'm finding vans 06+ with same mileage and they're double the price.

cuz 06+ are still financeable... prices get jacked up because of that.

Any reason you're so hung up on mileage? Is it because of financing? I really think 100k is not a big deal with newer cars these days.

I'd rather have something new vs something old regardless of mileage. Cars just keep getting better.

:werd: to an extent... some of the vvt stuff that hasn't totally been proven for long mileage stuff eerks me out... like the 3.6 gm motors. especially when the ls motors are so fucking strong.

personally mileage doesnt bother me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
NEWER with +- 100,000 > OLDER WITH +- 100,000

Like Joel said, you've got to consider that cars are being built better and more reliably. With that, a car that had more avg miles/ year probably experienced less start ups, drove at operating temperature more, etc than one that was not. It's not guarnteed, but you expect someone driving something 20,000+ miles a year doesn't drive 3 miles at a time, stopping and starting. If I were you, I would just make sure to have service records... you can tell ALOT about how a car was maintained by the regularity of oil changes. Mileage shouldn't scare you IMO, just look for a well cared for vehicle.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
No beater. I make really good money doing this and if I do finance, it would be paid off in less than 6 months.

I could have sworn you had complained about how low it was in the past...

Back to your original post I guess:

My old ranger had over 200k on it, and was a 98. Fairly rust free, and the suspension was fine minus a single leaf spring. Was a Midwest truck forever. My roommates 2001 ranger only has 80k on it, and we spent last weekend replacing the entire rear suspension because the rear shackles/hangers had failed from rust and the fuel pump was cutting out.

Mileage can mean nothing on a well maintained newer car/truck. I'd sooner buy a 175k mile ranger from 2008 over a 75k mile 2001 example for the same money as an example.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
any reason you are only looking at domestic vehicles ? If you were to find a honda minivan, i'm sure it would last for a long time and you would get your $ out of it.

if you are concerned about reliability with alot of miles, foreign cars have a reputation.

i am in NO WAY shitting on domestics, because I have come across many vehicles with alot of miles and not too many headaches.

just easier to keep your options open

79vette

Wrenching
Feb 10, 2009
Batavia
get a lower mileage older van. if you need financing, credit unions give loans on anything, and its usually a better rate then a bank. they can do a signature loan which is just a cash no questions asked kind of loan. its usually a couple percent higher then a car loan but if you paying it off in 6 months who cares.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.