Private Party sales tax in Illinois question

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
so here is the deal. I'm buying a car in Las Vegas private sale for use in Las Vegas. I can title it in NV and there is no sales tax however I would need to get a valid NV drivers license and according to their DMV I can only hold 1 valid state license at a time so my Illinois license would be voided.

Now I'm thinking well if it's not much to reg the vehicle here in Illinois and not deal with the red tape of residency of Vegas why not just do it here. Looking at the illinois DMV requirements for registration of private party sold vehicles there is a stipulations for exemption that states
The following motor vehicles may be exempt from tax with proper documentation:

Vehicles given as estate gifts to surviving spouses
Vehicles purchased by government, charitable, educational, and religious organizations for their use
Rolling stock
Vehicles purchased by out-of-state residents who use them outside of Illinois for more than three months
Farm implements
Ready-mix concrete trucks
Vehicles purchased specifically for the purpose of donating to an exempt organization operated exclusively for educational purposes
Vehicles purchased in an insurance replacement settlement
Certain second division motor vehicles and trailers if the Commercial Distribution Fee administered by the Secretary of State is paid.

Anybody ever try to reg a car and use this exception?

http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/TaxInformation/Sales/vehicle.htm

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I think I may have found a loop hole. you do not need a state drivers license to reg a car, but if I'm caught without one I could get fined, however, I could also qualify for a dual resident/seasonal resident identification. Only caveat is that I'd have to get different insurance than what I have since the car needs Nevada insurance. Doing all this I would be able to get away without paying any state taxes as private party sales in nevada are tax exempt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.
  • willizm
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list