New ring gear destroyed, need advice

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I had 4.56's installed in the truck after New Years, and last week the started howling BAD around 60mph. I dropped the truck off wendesday to the installer and get a call today saying that the gears have worn through the hardness, WTF?! Now Motive's are very reputable, and I don't want to call my installer a liar, but it's hard to believe that they failed on their own. I feel the install was off and the contact pattern was a bit tight, although there were no noises that showed signs of it.

Bought the gears from SUMMIT, what should I do?

its a miss installation.

if its starting to make noise then he didnt backlash it correctly.

ive had used gears installed before and no noise when installed correctly. could be a bad/fault pinion bearing or something but if its brand new... it deff points to the installer. shouldnt be any problems if he did it right.

Ive broken one ring gear dude to launching at 6k at the track but thats it.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
DSC_0110.jpg

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
I feel it is more there fault as well. It wasn't the master tech/owner that installed, and the guy who did said to me he had a tough time. I'll call motive and summit tomorrow, but I'll talk to the owner tomorrow and see what he'll do.

I just wrapped $700 up getting them installed bc the tru-trac was damaged. I don't feel I should be eating anything...

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
So summit is giving you new gears but the installer won't swap them for free?

pretty much, although I can't make it to see the owner of the shop today so I'll talk to him tomorrow and square it up! They have to rip out the gears today so I can pick them up

Sounds like the only thing he is out of is a truck for 2 weeks. :dunno:

That's what I'm shooting for!

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
Curious, Who's the installer?

Gibson Transmission in Steger, IL. Yea its a trans shop but the owner is a damn good Tech. I walked in there today and he was in a conversation with some of his racing buddies. They were talking about the location for his 2 16# Nitrous bottles and the fire extinguisher and such in his 2010 shelled Camaro Drag car :drool: There's still a ways to go on it, hopefully I'll snap a pic later in the season

He had a 2000ish Grand Am bodied one, I believe was all motor running high 7's - low 8's. He had a 7xx cu. in. motor in it, but wants to go power adder this round w/the camaro

:fy:

I hope it's a different tech putting the new ones in!

There will be!

Motive had a bunch of gears that were defective. I lost a set of gears in my 9" too.

We were discussing this too, I was doing a search after I was told what happened. There was something about wrong fluids and what not, but he used what was stated in the instructions that came w/the gears :dunno:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
JMO on this, but chances are the evidence of who did what is right in front of you. If the wear pattern looks "off" then the installer screwed the pooch on the install. If the wear pattern looks "right" it's a gear issue in all probability. Just saying that's how I'd evaluate it anyways. Not that it really matters it sounds like they're getting you straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info