Esurance/GEICO insurance users step-in...

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
So, my 6 month renewal with Allstate is up in about a month and it will be about $1,150 for full coverage on all three cars. KY laws are different than IL laws (additional coverage required) and coverage is overall more expensive down South too.

Well, I kept on seeing ads for Esurance as of late, so I decided to do an online quote and slightly better coverage gave me a rate of $675 for 6 months. I also checked out GEICO because I heard good things about them and my online quote came to $750ish, with the same coverage levels as Esurance.

I have been with Allstate for about 4 years, but I am considering the change if I can save around $400 every 6 months. Can anyone give me their two cents if you are with or had experience with Esurance/GEICO.

The only advantage I see with Allstate is that I have deductible rewards ($100 each year) and accident forgiveness. However, I see the extra cost I pay with accident forgiveness is like paying for a 6 month premium with an accident on there.

Any advice is helpful.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I liked GEICO when I lived at my parents. I had 3 cars and paid $184/mo. When I bought my house they didn't have the multi-coverage discount for auto and home, and my insurance jumped to $224 for just the truck.... They may have changed now, but I liked them before I moved.

I may look into them again though and see if the rates changed

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
i had geico but dropped them because they wouldnt give me any coverage other than liability on the pacer and my only experience attempting to file a claim was horrible, i now have progressive. the only time i tried to file a claim with geico the lady was a bitch, i called after my car was totaled by a drunk driver, she answered i gave her my info and she said and i quote "you aint got full coverage, why you callin?" then hung up, i had uninsured motorist insurance tho, luckily the other guy had state farm and i had a check by the end of the week, i dropped geico shortly after that.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
Geico blows fucking balls. (I can't remember if I posted it here but I'll give a short recap)

Had Geico for 2 years, one day there was a rain storm, flooded my street. Woke up the next morning to goto work, me and my buddy open the doors at 6:30am to come into work, car is full of water. Great. My car was parked at about a 15-20% incline mind you. The seat cusions were soaked, standing water past the seat rails. So we moved the car to the street and went into work. Aside from turning the key to ACC we didn't start the car. Airbag light was on, and the unlock was on the fritz. Called Geico, said we didn't have a repair shop of choice, they came and got the car. By this time it was 1pm, sun up, 80*, and I had shop vac'd about 4-5 gallons of water out. Monday morning roll along (Car flooded Saturday, sat sunday with the sun beating on it) and I get a call from the adjuster. He started the car and let it run, I voiced my concern with how deep the water was. I know and had pictures of the water at the top grill, and had 2 witnesses saying they saw water past the hood. Adjuster said it was fine and he had checked the intake filter. (which was in the wheel well and would have had to take the wheel off to check) Whatever, I told him and let them tow it to a Toyota dealer for the airbag light. They towed it 35 miles away, replaced only the light, and sucked 5 more gallons out. (total of about 10 gallons) They claimed to clean it, but it would be ready in a day. I had researched, seen it takes a fair amount of time to clean and properly dry, and once again brought up my concerns. Not only did it get "cleaned" in a day, they also only found the airbag control module to be faulty, and didn't touch the seats and only vaccumed the carpet. (When we pushed it onto the street you could hear an ocean worth of water under the carpet) I was wanting a second opinion, but Geico claimed I chose an "Express Repair Facility" and I didn't have to authorize ANYTHING to be fixed before they did it, or get another opinion. So I got the car back, faught for a 2nd opinion (this was 2-3 weeks after the incident) and finally was granted one. The shop told the adjuster that the seats at least needed to be cleaned, blah blah blah. Both times Geico "adjusters" examined the vehicle and claimed it to be good as new, when I got it in after both cleanins the car WREAKED of mold and mildew. The adjusters also claimed water would pose "no threat" to electronics or connections. And they also threatened to not give me a rental several times regardless of me being without a car.

Sorry for the long read, but Geico is a HORRIBLE company, and the lower price shows with the customer service. I started researching Geico when I was going through all this, and found a LOT of similar incidences when the car should have had more work done but they refused.

Cliffs and shit I forgot in the story:
-Geico blows asshole
-Adjusters claimed a flooded vehicle was fine, and didn't know the laws for a flooded title
-Customer service was horrible, and often had to talk to SEVERAL "manangers or supervisors" that could give a fuck
-Threatened to leave me vehicless because of shotty repairs
-Claimed water does no harm to a vehicle's electronics
-Cared less about customer care then a drug dealer
-Often times cut communication with us (me and wife) instead of working out issues.

I learned the hard way.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
After further research, here is where a few companies stand:

Allstate (current): $1,161
Esurance: $675 (slightly better coverage than current)
GEICO: $749 (slightly better coverage than current)
State Farm: $1,395

This is based on a six month premium. After doing further research, I am heading in the direction of GEICO.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
geico can be okay, i think it is more important the body shop you get your car fixed at than anything, the quality of the work the shop does and if they stand behind it is huge. at the shop I was at, we always fixed the cars to our best abilities, and would just supplement the shit out of insurance companies that dicked us around, the owner worked with the mentality that we were there for the customers, not for the insurance companies, and making our customers cars perfect was the biggest deal.

that being said, my car would most likely never venture into a corporate body shop, the care and attention to detail aren't there... the corporate shop may be quicker, but at the same time, i'd rather have my car fixed perfectly, than hacked back together with subpar parts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I thought you would have had a different feeling regarding how that car gets repaird with how much you paid for it.

and there are grade qualities regarding parts... I like "a" quality used parts all day long, but do not give me a door that has been repainted 3 times already, has rust inside of it, is dinged or dented, etc etc, which can all be sub-a quality parts that they may use.

i don't want that.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
Spicy McHaggiz u got fucked cuz you let the car goto geico's repair shop. Of course they are going to hack it back together and get it out asap. They make more money that way!

IMO most insurance company owned bodyshops are like this.

Yes and no. I did get a 2nd opinion at the shop of my choice. But ultimately Geico would only approve a 2nd cleaning. And all of the initial repairs were done by a Toyota dealer in Williamsburg, VA. The only time the Geico "shop" touched the car was as a place holder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info