Getting a car appraised.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Since I have WAY more money in my Ranger than any '99 Ranger will ever be worth I figured it would be a good idea to have an appraisal done, just in case anything ever happened.

The only thing that scares me is the fact that it is carbureted, and it wouldn't pass emissions. Would they throw a fit about that? Also it doesn't have the air bags in it anymore like it was from the factory. There is nothing computer controlled anymore.

I also suspect insurance to jump after they see what's under the hood and how it has been built (if they actually know what they are looking at).

I know an appraisal is supposed to decide the actual value of a car, but while looking at it I don't know if any of these things would cause an issue?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Legally you can't even have it Titled for street use as it sits being Carbed, and with I'd imagine no cats, regardless of what County you live in... so ignoring that fact...

I don't think an appraiser would care, but your insurance will obviously sky-rocket if that is the purpose for this.

98+ Ranger's KBB High and have a high fair market value, so if this is for insurance purposes, I wouldn't even bother (it probably books over $3k). It's old enough (more than 6 years IIRC?) so you can always buy it back if you wreck it, and pull whatever survived an accident. Any lost money would almost certainly be smaller than the increased insurance premiums.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Legally you can't even have it Titled for street use as it sits being Carbed, and with I'd imagine no cats, regardless of what County you live in... so ignoring that fact...

I don't think an appraiser would care, but your insurance will obviously sky-rocket if that is the purpose for this.

98+ Ranger's KBB High and have a high fair market value, so if this is for insurance purposes, I wouldn't even bother (it probably books over $3k). It's old enough (more than 6 years IIRC?) so you can always buy it back if you wreck it, and pull whatever survived an accident. Any lost money would almost certainly be smaller than the increased insurance premiums.

whaaaaat? i believe someones ass cheeks may be flapping here. aka talking out of your ass.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There is nothing emissions related on my truck.

I had full coverage on it last year but thought whats the point if something happens to it and they only give me $1500.

Dealer KBB is $3,888 for a 1998 standard cab standard bed XLT ranger with a 3.0 V6 (which is what I think you had in it origionally?). Fair market value is typically close to that. That's why I never bothered looking into this. Figured if I got $3500 for my truck in an accident, and could save the motor/trans/rear, not much else really matters since I could buy a perfectly good/clean runner for $3500, and sell the motor/trans/rear out of it and come out several thousand ahead in the end...

Not even for OBD II vehicles?

There are exemptions you can GET for OBD II vehicles (Parade/Show use, Track use, "Kit Car" title, or prove to them that you've spent more than $1000 trying to get it to pass)

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Get a PCM in there, have it powered up, set all codes to "don't report", run through emissions: profit. OBDII is the best thing that happened to heavily modified vehicles.

Just make sure the port is EXACTLY where it's supposed to be. I had my port hanging on the Grand Prix and they failed me. Then the dude wouldn't tell me why. I had to park the car and go into the office so the other guy could tell me my port wasn't where it was supposed to be. Literally all I did was snap it back into place, go back through and pass. What a waste of their time and mine.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Get a PCM in there, have it powered up, set all codes to "don't report", run through emissions: profit. OBDII is the best thing that happened to heavily modified vehicles.

Just make sure the port is EXACTLY where it's supposed to be. I had my port hanging on the Grand Prix and they failed me. Then the dude wouldn't tell me why. I had to park the car and go into the office so the other guy could tell me my port wasn't where it was supposed to be. Literally all I did was snap it back into place, go back through and pass. What a waste of their time and mine.

It is true. OBDII is awesome. They don't seem to do ANY sort of visual inspection.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You'll probably have to pay a hefty premium for the extra insurance to cover the other stuff on your car. You'll have to show receipts for everything you're trying to insure, or prove the value.

A lot of people face the value of all the shit > value of car. Just gotta make sure you can get it back from the insurance and part it out.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
You'll probably have to pay a hefty premium for the extra insurance to cover the other stuff on your car. You'll have to show receipts for everything you're trying to insure, or prove the value.

A lot of people face the value of all the shit > value of car. Just gotta make sure you can get it back from the insurance and part it out.

I have every reciept from the build.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
it seems like most of the money you put into it is in stuff that would survive a crash, the motor trans rear end, honestly how much is the body frame and interior worth? the 04' grand prix I just picked up for cheep is geting liability, yeah ill have alot into the motor and trans but I can always buy another gp body and throw it in there

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Just find an insurance company that will cover you for a set and agreed amount of value. I know some of the mustang guys on cmc have spoken about this.

Also, if your car causes the claim and they see it's heavily modified and not reported as so, you might be in some hot water...

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
(did not read entire thread)

i wouldnt do it. youll pay out the ass in insurance.

last summer 2 weeks after finishing my truck, i TOTALED IT THE FUCK OUT. jumped it into a field. i had full coverage and they paid top dollar for the truck and i bought it back for $300. two weeks later i put a core support in it and a front bumper and its on the road.

even if i ACTUALLY totaled it, i could have sold the motor, trans, rearend, brakes, etc. for thousands....

only reason you want it insured for what it is, if it gets stolen. and im not TOO worried about that. 99% of people think its just a regular dakota. and if you keep it in the garage, i wouldnt worry. im sure you can still hook up an alarm/remote start with starter kill.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info