Jeep GC NV247 transfer case

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
My fathers Jeep transfer case makes a lot of noise when the 4wd engages. I believe it to be the chain and am trying to find out how involved it is to just replace the chain.

I have googled and seen ppl have done this before but there wasnt anything specific most just made it seem easy.

I came across something on ehow.com but it doesn't really seem to specify nv247, or atleast that I can tell on my phone.

Anyone have experience with this? I believe the progressive coupler is still fine just that the chain is stretched.

Thoughts? Don't really wanna sink a lot of money into it being older and having 170k miles. I see the chain is $140 or so. If it needs more I've also seen kits for $550 that include chain, coupler, etc. I'm just hoping the chain will do it.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
did you ever find out why the front shaft was missing back in 2005??

Nope. I really wish I could find that out as that would give me some insight on if this t-case is something worth putting money into. That was quite the sight tho! No wonder why it seemed like there was no 4wd...

I don't necessarily trust junkyard units just as these seem to be pretty particular on having fluid changes done on time. I see rebuilt ones on eBay that are around $850 but I imagine shipping is going to be $$ as it weighs I'm guessing 100lbs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SaturdaysGS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list