What is your definition of a gearhed?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
A neighbor calls himself a gearhead all the time. He stops by to chitchat when my garage is open. Nice guy in his 20's and drives a new VW Golf what he always backs into his driveway. Modding to him is changing to silverstar headlights and getting some aftermarket rims all of which is done by a shop for him. He talks about specs of new cars and has all the latest Mags and knows all the latest models and talks about the shapes of some cars like an artist describes a fine sculpture. It got me thinking... is he really a gearhead?? What makes someone a gearhead ....?

Is it technical Knowledge?
Pic_1747.jpg

Or is it the racing aspect?
Pic_1748.jpg

Is it getting dirty and modding or building a car yourself?
Pic_1745.jpg

Or is it like my neighbor and just keeping up with the latest and greatest with a fine appreciation for design and technology that makes some one a gearhead?
Pic_1746.jpg

I used to think a Gearhead is someone that is into getting dirty and modding and building a car but I'm not soo sure now. What is your opinion.. What makes someone a true automotive Gearhead?

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I'd consider someone like you've described as an enthusiast, not a gearhead. A gearhead is someone who acutally gets his hands dirty. It is a lot more than just knowing specs and such about cars, its about really having the desire to dive deep into your car and work on it to make it truly your own.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
I'd consider someone like you've described as an enthusiast, not a gearhead. A gearhead is someone who acutally gets his hands dirty. It is a lot more than just knowing specs and such about knew cars, its about really having the desire to dive deep into your car and work on it to make it truly your own.

I guess I could agree with this somewhat. I get what you're saying with the make it your own thing.

But I also know people who are very into cars and know quite a bit and love making a car their own, but don't quite have the mechanical skills to do it themselves. They'll take time out of their day to help out whatever they can, but just can't quite grasp it like most. So I hate to count them out just because they don't know how to do it on their own or lack the ability even though they have the "drive" to make their car their own.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
It is hard to put a definitive label on car enthusiasts, as you pointed out there are a lot of various skill sets & levels to consider. But what draws the line for me is the traditional image of a person getting dirty, busting a few knuckles, and putting countless hours into a car that is truly a reflection of their passion & dedication.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
It just annoyed me at first when he would call himself a gearhead. I too think its about getting dirty and building the car. putting your time, blood, sweat and tears into the car.. Interestingly though he knows a lot. knows the difference between exhaust manifolds and headers, and what a stall is and how the stall speed and converter size effects the car. Things that most people that I'd consider an enthusiast just don't know. That is what got me thinking and made it less annoying to me when he says he is a gearhead. In the end it really doesn't matter its all just about a hobby and everyoe enjoys it in a different way. Same as some people look at art other people create it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i am a psychotic gearhead
i live, eat, breath and sleep this shit from when i first helped my gramps work on a tractor, to reading every book in multiple public libraries, volunteering at small engine repair joints and seedy trans/chop shops, book and hands-on knowledge across multiple manufacturers, an obsession with making things, making them faster, more durable, more reliable, unique one off creations that embody the Williams heritage of tinkering with anything mechanical, electrical, to build something better....all to the detriment of my personal life and hygene :s00ls:

a lowly gearhead would probably shower more often :dunno:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
theres plenty of people who "wrench" on their own cars and don't know a goddamn thing about what they are doing...

all they do is replace parts

a gearhead is someone who can replace parts after diagnosing the problem and while doing so, displays a true understanding of the underlying science behind the issue.

i would consider a tuner a gearhead, even if they never turn a bolt in their life. the knowledge they possess about various sensors, triggers, signals, operational modes etc displays a TRUE knowledge of what they are doing. Anyone can replace an o2 sensor, a true gearhead understands the purpose of each wire, how long it takes to heat up, the various signals it sends, can draw the waveform by memory, can diag exactly what went wrong (coolant? too much air? lean/rich condition) can relate all of that to open/closed loop and can go down the chain of supporting sensors to determine the TRUE problem

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
theres plenty of people who "wrench" on their own cars and don't know a goddamn thing about what they are doing...

all they do is replace parts

a gearhead is someone who can replace parts after diagnosing the problem and while doing so, displays a true understanding of the underlying science behind the issue.

i would consider a tuner a gearhead, even if they never turn a bolt in their life. the knowledge they possess about various sensors, triggers, signals, operational modes etc displays a TRUE knowledge of what they are doing. Anyone can replace an o2 sensor, a true gearhead understands the purpose of each wire, how long it takes to heat up, the various signals it sends, can draw the waveform by memory, can diag exactly what went wrong (coolant? too much air? lean/rich condition) can relate all of that to open/closed loop and can go down the chain of supporting sensors to determine the TRUE problem

:werd:

to me a gearhead is someone who takes the time to learn, study and actually puts in the effort to better understand autos.

everyone starts with different set of skills, weather it wrenching, tuning, or the ability to see an old rust bucket and see the beauty within.

if you wrench on your car to save a few bucks, or you do it as a fun hobby a gearhead is a person who takes pride in doing something themselves.

a true gearhead will have dirty fingernails, a few scars, and a story to tell

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
i think that your neighbor is a gear head. like you said, just because someone doesnt have the ability or the know how to work on a car doesnt make him an enthusiast. its all about the passion.

some of THE BEST MECHANICS i know are NOT gear heads. they do it for a living and drive regular old cars. so mechanical ability doesnt effect being a gear head.

i dont think you can draw a line and say yes or no to being a gearhead, or between enthusiast and gearhead. i think it takes a number of factors to make a good gear head.

everything i do is for the drive. i LOVE to drive. i love to highway cruise, i love to wheel, i love to plow, i love to tear shit up. i feel out of all the things i can do, driving is my best ability. i build my cars SO I CAN DRIVE them. hate working on them and i couldnt stand being a mechanic. although when i do get out and start tearing my truck apart and ordering parts and doing the research on what parts to get and slowly putting them together with help from friends, i LOVE working on it... I CAN do all the work myself, i know how, i understand how it goes, i can explain the internals of a motor and how stuff goes and what makes power to friends who are great mechanics, but they would kick my ass in a build off cause they just know their way around tools better. thats why i have come to the conclusion to not waste my time on the big stuff. it takes less energy for me to make the money and pay for the work, than it would take if i did it myself.

for some people the priority isnt to bust your knuckles and do it yourself, its to drive, its to make "art", its to have the best, or its just plan to keep busy. you cant classify a gearhead buy the tools he has or the stuff hes built... you have to look at that person as a whole and see his passion for the sport and how much it influences his life.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i think that your neighbor is a gear head. like you said, just because someone doesnt have the ability or the know how to work on a car doesnt make him an enthusiast. its all about the passion.

some of THE BEST MECHANICS i know are NOT gear heads. they do it for a living and drive regular old cars. so mechanical ability doesnt effect being a gear head.

i dont think you can draw a line and say yes or no to being a gearhead, or between enthusiast and gearhead. i think it takes a number of factors to make a good gear head.

everything i do is for the drive. i LOVE to drive. i love to highway cruise, i love to wheel, i love to plow, i love to tear shit up. i feel out of all the things i can do, driving is my best ability. i build my cars SO I CAN DRIVE them. hate working on them and i couldnt stand being a mechanic. although when i do get out and start tearing my truck apart and ordering parts and doing the research on what parts to get and slowly putting them together with help from friends, i LOVE working on it... I CAN do all the work myself, i know how, i understand how it goes, i can explain the internals of a motor and how stuff goes and what makes power to friends who are great mechanics, but they would kick my ass in a build off cause they just know their way around tools better. thats why i have come to the conclusion to not waste my time on the big stuff. it takes less energy for me to make the money and pay for the work, than it would take if i did it myself.

for some people the priority isnt to bust your knuckles and do it yourself, its to drive, its to make "art", its to have the best, or its just plan to keep busy. you cant classify a gearhead buy the tools he has or the stuff hes built... you have to look at that person as a whole and see his passion for the sport and how much it influences his life.

under that rational, bus drivers/taxicab drivers are gearheads?

i don't think so...thats just my opinion

you said that you know mechanics that aren't really "into" cars.

my definition necessitates a list of criteria that should be met:

Genuine passion for cars which includes but is not limited to:
driving/detailing/tuning/upkeep
knowledge of components which includes but is not limited to solely one of the following:
computer software regarding automotive uses, mechanical knowledge, engineering basics (some guys <3 vectors), design (body/paint/interior/custom appearance modifications), electrical systems (including stereo, computers, lighting etc)

Above all, there should be a genuine passion in whatever vehicle stimulates your interest and the desire to utilize the knowledge you contain in a manner that suits your personality and ultimate goals for that particular vehicle.

If there is skill/knowledge with no interest in the field other than "it pays the bills" you unfortunately aren't really a gearhead, more just inclined towards a certain aspect.
the opposite holds true...

Turk: why don't you take some tuning classes. its the 21st century 'classy' automotive technician.

one can do more with an oscilloscope than most people can with a full toolbox

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
This... To a friendlier extent though. :)

What does it matter? It's like saying "what's an attractive woman?". Everyone's definition is different and there are many defining characteristics.

I agree with this. I consider myself a gearhead to a certain extent, but not nearly as much as some. Although my definition of a true gearhead is James.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info