Water pump help

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
Need some help
Soon to swap a 350 in my camaro that currently has a 305. There is an age difference between the motors. 305 is a 1991 and 350 is a 1969. I'm looking to swap the stock serpentine system off the 305 onto the 350. I know that not all of the holes may not line up so I will need some brackets, but my question is did the water pump bolt pattern change between 69 and 91? I know the rotation of the pumps is different, clockwise and reverse, but do the bolt patterns match? Any input would be appreciated. Gonna be swapping it later this month after this and a few other small details are sorted out.

Thanks!:s00ls:

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
what are the casting numbers on those heads?

i have a couple sets of heads that would work for you. if those are infact camel humps you have.

Idk the numbers off the top of my head and the motors not close by, but they are HH heads with I believe 1.90 or close to that intake valves.

Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The passenger side head will not work for you if you're using Serpentine. You need heads like Vortecs, L05s or L98s. Either that or you're going to be omitting a bolt on that side/modding the head to make it fit.

Serpentine has the reverse rotation water pump. Flow is the same direction, the way the pulley turns is not. The easiest way I have found to tell right off the bat is that the reverse rotation water pumps will not have the mounting spots for the alternator on them. Using a standard rotation water pump will cause the engine to cool improperly. A reman for that engine is about $20, I would pick one up while I did the build instead of stealing your L03/LB9's pump.

BTW is the engine healthy? Depending on cost and ability to get my shit sorted out, may be interested. Could always use a spare roller.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Thanks for the advice. Will purchase a new pump to play it safe.

Motor has over 220000 on it and burns and leaks oil. Time for replacement for fun and more power. Just a stock lo3 so nothing worth fixing up for me.

I do think, however I will be able to tap bolt holes into the left head seeing as how they clearly did that for later models.

The castings were altered. Not going to tell you it won't work, but in my case I ended up drilling a hole in a set of 416 heads (early-mid 80s 305 heads) and there wasn't really much there to tap into. It may be enough depending on how "structural" the bolt is but in retrospect I almost wouldn't want to chance it. If it's what it takes to get you going though it may be worthwhile. Keeping the TBI btw?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info