Learn me on Tahoes

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Prefer 4WD so the lady can drive it to work in the shit. Plus her commute isnt as bad as mine so Ill take the gas sipping death trap. :rofl:

Id like to stay under 120K if possible, but I dont know what the price area is. I was hoping to spend no more then $8K. Pipe dream? Maybe.

Id love a Yukon, but the GMCs usually tend to be more pricey. Also, dont need a Burban. Tahoe will be plenty.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I don't know a lot about those trucks but from what I have seen a lot of them rust out at the inside bottom edge of the doors and the aluminium tail gates can get some mad corrosion. The rest of the body seems pretty solid for the most part and the engines last forever.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Prefer 4WD so the lady can drive it to work in the shit. Plus her commute isnt as bad as mine so Ill take the gas sipping death trap. :rofl:

Id like to stay under 120K if possible, but I dont know what the price area is. I was hoping to spend no more then $8K. Pipe dream? Maybe.

Id love a Yukon, but the GMCs usually tend to be more pricey. Also, dont need a Burban. Tahoe will be plenty.

Yukon's are GMC's version of the Tahoe. The Yukon XL is the Burban style

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Pricing is weird for these trucks. You got some trucks asking(selling) for reasonable prices then you got some idiots that want stupid money for some reason.

Saw a 04 Tahoe LTZ on clist the other week. black, 90K miles, loaded. $7300. I emailed my dad the link early afternoon and told him togo buy it. He was not enticed by black so he pretty much overlooked my email. Later that afternoon I convinced him to not give a single fuck go buy it. He called the guy and the car was still for sale. By the time he was ready to drive out to Elgin to buy this, he called the guy again and the car was gone. This was over the course of a hour or so. If you find a deal JUMP on it. If shit is priced right on clist it goes fast.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Look out for wheel bearings, pitman and idler arms, tie rod ends, rear brake backing plates rotted out, front pass side axle seal leaks, and bad u joints. Those are the basic things I see day in and day out on those trucks. The only powertrain issues that are common are the intake gaskets can fail causing a lean code (easy fix as long as the intake isn't warped) and water pumps.... I've done hundreds of them

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Look out for wheel bearings, pitman and idler arms, tie rod ends, rear brake backing plates rotted out, front pass side axle seal leaks, and bad u joints. Those are the basic things I see day in and day out on those trucks. The only powertrain issues that are common are the intake gaskets can fail causing a lean code (easy fix as long as the intake isn't warped) and water pumps.... I've done hundreds of them

lol I have replaced all of those things on my 02 silv except the water pump and axle seals...they are leaking, but not fixed yet. oh and all my balljoints but i plowed with it for a few years.

I would look for an 04+ black Z71 Tahoe if i were you.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Get yourself a 6.0 Tahoe/yukon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

no reason for that. additionally. im pretty sure there isn't such thing as a 6.0 tahoe... denalis are full time awd and 6.0s but thirsty as fuck because of it.

Pricing is weird for these trucks. You got some trucks asking(selling) for reasonable prices then you got some idiots that want stupid money for some reason.

Saw a 04 Tahoe LTZ on clist the other week. black, 90K miles, loaded. $7300. I emailed my dad the link early afternoon and told him togo buy it. He was not enticed by black so he pretty much overlooked my email. Later that afternoon I convinced him to not give a single fuck go buy it. He called the guy and the car was still for sale. By the time he was ready to drive out to Elgin to buy this, he called the guy again and the car was gone. This was over the course of a hour or so. If you find a deal JUMP on it. If shit is priced right on clist it goes fast.

:werd: to that first part. its nuts.

If you shop in CL you are just going to have to look at a few. What you are asking for is not unreasonable. Just don't expect for there to be 12 to choose from at any given point.

:werd:

I'm looking for a newer burban slightly...

for me, the luxury stuff isn't a deal breaker, and I am really looking at quite a few of the cop trucks. I had a cop car back in the day, and my sister had a cop impala, i like their beefiness a lot.

like here:

this is what i want... http://www.asiamotorsinc.com/1727/2005-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-4WD

we are going to see some weird shit with used full size suv pricing real quick here though... the newer bigger trucks are not anywhere near as plentiful as the older ones were... and the older ones are dropping like flies from rust and whatever else. Basically I really think we are going to see a lot of trucks that are priced a lot higher than a lot of similar trucks from years ago.

additionally... you will find that suburbans & yukon xl's are typically priced less than a similarly equipped tahoe or regular yukon.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
lol I have replaced all of those things on my 02 silv except the water pump and axle seals...they are leaking, but not fixed yet. oh and all my balljoints but i plowed with it for a few years.

I would look for an 04+ black Z71 Tahoe if i were you.

yea those are just the typical problems. plus on silverados you definitely have had a blower resistor or 2. but i barely ever see ball joints go bad on tahoes.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2830239556.html
7k$

2000 GMC Yukon XL (not Denali, Suburban) 4x4 SLT with around 121,000 miles. Have owned it since 2003. Indigo blue exterior with tan leather interior. Quad seating, no sunroof or DVD. Interior and exterior both in very good condition. Has 2 or 3 dings. Aftermarket remote start and alarm. Tires are about a year old Firestone Destination LE's on 17" Denali wheels. New Dynomax exhaust from cat back. Rear brakes, front right wheel hub, water pump, alternator, belt and fuel pump have all been replaced recently. Runs and drives great. Selling to replace with a minivan.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
5N95O25H23I63Fd3Jec21f54d7e8c76321fb7.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yea those are just the typical problems. plus on silverados you definitely have had a blower resistor or 2. but i barely ever see ball joints go bad on tahoes.

so I occasionally smell some coolant action when i shut my truck off, happening more frequently lately... waterpump you think without any further info or should there be some other smoking gun?

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
yep, replaced both the resistor and motor in the last year.

130k on mine btw, but after doing all the Bjs, idler, pitman, tie rods, and added cognito upper control arms and idler/pitman supports it drives better than new. no steering slop and the bilstein 5100s with 3/4 ton tbars and rear air bags it doesnt ride all that bad for being cranked.

On other issue is the intermediate steering shaft, I went through 3 or 4 until I got the newest version that has lasted for a couple years now

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
so I occasionally smell some coolant action when i shut my truck off, happening more frequently lately... waterpump you think without any further info or should there be some other smoking gun?

My guess would be water pump. Just shine a flashlight down the front of the motor and see if you can see anything

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info