Window tint removal tricks?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There are a bunch of different ways but I want to know what you guys have done to remove tint successfully. The tint I want to remove has been on for years and is purple with tons of air bubbles, so it's probably brittle and stuck on like a mother fucker. It will be coming off a rear window with defroster and two rear quarter windows.

Would like to use a steamer to get it off but haven't looked to where I could rent or borrow one.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I recently had to remove my front tint due to cop attention, and tried myself. I got half a window done and couldn't even begin to get the glue off even with a clothes steamer.

I took it to a Ziebart and he removed two full windows for $15. Well worth it.

I wanted to get my tint removed on the GTP and redone. I was getting removal quotes almost as much as new tint installed. :ugh:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Steamer on the back window only, nothing else. Razors will destroy your defroster grid. Steamer doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but the bigger it is/more steam it produces, faster you will get done. Take your time or it will not come off in one piece. When you get the main bulk of the tint off, a scrub pad will take care of the rest of the adhesive globs, use ammonia window cleaner to help kill off the adhesive.

Side windows, steaming will get it off cleaner, but razor will do the trick as well. In all cases, use stainless blades or you will scratch the glass most likely. Save the ceramic (black dots, lettering, borders) for last as they will dull the razor. Keep the glass wet when scraping, and use ammonia window cleaner to kill off the rest of the adhesive.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I wanted to get my tint removed on the GTP and redone. I was getting removal quotes almost as much as new tint installed. :ugh:

When I started calling around I was getting the same. I would generally never take my car to Ziebart ever but I called on a whim and he said $15 bucks. Left a mess on the door panels but nothing a quick wipe up didnt fix.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
I was trained by Lumar to tint. the steamer is by far the best way to do it but you can also use an ammonia based glass cleaner and let it sit on the tint with a back trash bag taper to it in the sun. use a soft scrubby pad with a good cleaner to remove the rest of the adhesive if it has defrosters if not use a razor blade.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Steam worked like a charm on the side windows but the rear didn't want to cooperate. Even after going slow and steaming both sides the adhesive still wanted to separate from the film. Pain in the ass. Kept wanted to separate at the defroster lines.

cav2.jpg

cav3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oRBd9ui9FM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info