Dasfincs "Bob Rohrman" Experience

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Never really made a thread about this, but figure I make another "Rohrman sucks" thread...

Cliffs:

Bought my Mustang at Rohrman.
Predictably things were wrong with the car.
Predictably they didn't want to eat the cost.
Predictably they tried to rip me off.
Found a way around how they ripped me off.
Still love the car.

Skip to the Conclusion if you want the short version -

I purchased my 2006 Mustang GT Convertible from Rohrman Ford mid November, and did this against better advice due to the price and options of the vehicle they had forsale.

I spotted what is now my car back in Early August at Rohrman for $22,800 or so. It is a Tungsten grey 2006 Mustang GT Convertible with a black top, black leather, Shaker 500, factory 3.55's, and is a "Premium" car (Leather wheel, My Color, etc). The car is Stick and only had about 25,000 miles on it, KBB was about $24,200. It sat on the lot and the price began to plummet with winter looming.

I went for a test drive early November and the car was perfect, but I did neglect to take it on the highway.

I decided to purchase the car, I got it for $17,400 (Plus Tax/Fee's/and Warranty) which ended up pushing it to just over $21,000

Even at $21,000 out the door, I was still quite happy as the car has hardly any miles, was flawless, and had a warranty. I made sure I signed off on a 90 days 100% coverage (No deductable), and then anything past that would be through the ESP.

On the highway it has an ever so slight shimmy in the steering and I figured the car wouldn't be perfect since it was from Rohrman, and counted on a follow-up visit. Once I got home I heard the infamous rear-end growl that 05-06 Mustangs are known for (Differential issue). I get a call 3 days after purchase from my sales person asking how I liked it. I let him know about the shimmy, and the rear end making a bit of noise under tight turns. I tell him I will bring it in as soon as I am able to get this all resolved, he assures me they will take care of everything.

2 weeks later I still haven't had a chance to bring it in, and the temperature drops. My rear brakes seize at my local Metra station, so I have the car towed out to Rohrman (to ensure I don't have to pay my $100 deductible of the ESP).

Car gets out there and the E-brake cables have seized (another known Mustang issue). The service writer calls me, and lets me know:

A) The shake isn't covered as the wheels are off balance.
B) The rear differential makes noise, there is a dampener I can buy for $400 that will make it quiter
C) The Ebrake cable will cost me $100 to have repaired (deductable).
D) My Battery needs to be replaced.

I let the writer know he needs to talk to the sales and management as I was told this would all be dealt with (minus the battery), and would be free.

After about 4 hours on the phone between the management, the service writer, the actual tech working on the car, and the Ford Customer Care line, they:

Balanced the tires
Replaced the rear differential (Tech was aware of the TSB, and was cool about replacing it under warranty even though he couldn't re-create what I heard before)
Fixed the Ebrake cable

And predictably the battery wasn't covered (Oh well, $100 for a battery won't make or brake the deal I got on the car).

Since then, the car had a brief "Possessed" driver side window that went away, and has been perfect otherwise.

Today, I got to thinking about ESP pricing due to the 2011GT in the deals section, and took a look at the pricing for my car...

I find that www.FordWarranties.com offers the SAME ESP on my car for $1318 and with only a $50 deductable.... I call Rohrman to confirm that I paid $2250 for my warranty.

Called Fords warranty hotline and confirmed I can cancel my current ESP and get about $2060 back from Rohrman. Called www.FordWarranties.com and confirmed that I can get a new FORD ESP from them even after canceling one...

So Rohrman had screwed me out of $700+ unbeknownst to me as I had no idea you could get an ESP from other dealers/vendors that still used FORD dealers.........

Conclusion:

I'll get a check in the mail for $2060 in 6-8 Weeks :FY:.

And Yes, I know it was stupid to buy a car from them, but again, I got exactly what I wanted, and for what I wanted to pay.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This is all you really needed to post

Today, I got to thinking about ESP pricing due to the 2011GT in the deals section, and took a look at the pricing for my car...

I find that www.FordWarranties.com offers the SAME ESP on my car for $1318 and with only a $50 deductable.... I call Rohrman to confirm that I paid $2250 for my warranty.

Called Fords warranty hotline and confirmed I can cancel my current ESP and get about $2060 back from Rohrman. Called www.FordWarranties.com and confirmed that I can get a new FORD ESP from them even after canceling one...

So Rohrman had screwed me out of $700+ unbeknownst to me as I had no idea you could get an ESP from other dealers/vendors that still used FORD dealers.........

Conclusion:

I'll get a check in the mail for $2060 in 6-8 Weeks :FY:.

And Yes, I know it was stupid to buy a car from them, but again, I got exactly what I wanted, and for what I wanted to pay.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sounds like a good experience.

Fuck. My bad, can you fix it plz?

And again, over-all I'm still happy that I got the car.

But I'm happy for paying nearly $7k under KBB for EXACTLY the mustang I wanted, not for anything to have to do with them...

And yes, I could have just posted the conclusion, but I figured I'd share the full story, the day is winding down anyways. I posted Cliffs FIRST for the TL;DR crowd.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I got a friend there. She HATES her job.

And to be honest. Any dealer will try to screw you and not pay for anything. I have yet to have a GREAT dealership expierience to be honest. The just want to get all the money they can out of you and say have a nice day. Then when you bitch about something after the signing then they can say whatever they want. BECAUSE YOU SIGN ALREADY. I hear it time and time again from people.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Alright Das, I'm going to phrase this politely... but have you ever heard of the term "buyer beware"? I mean it's well documented that dealerships mark up warranties. It's like any other product/ commodity: different place, different price. Them charging you $700 more for the warranty doesn't mean they're ripping you off; it means they're marking up the price so they can make money, because they're a business and business' want to make money. :)

You found this out after the fact which doesn't mean you exposed them for ripping you off; it means you're an educated consumer. Some people are fully aware the dealer marks up the warranty but they want to buy from the dealer rather than deal with it themselves. I don't blame them.

For years I've had to deal with dolts that would post on the various forums that we were ripping them off because you could get x part from Rockauto for less than we sold it for.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You found this out after the fact which doesn't mean you exposed them for ripping you off; it means you're an educated consumer. Some people are fully aware the dealer marks up the warranty but they want to buy from the dealer rather than deal with it themselves. I don't blame them.

If it was $100 or $200 more, I wouldn't have cared. The fact that the mark up was nearly double is what I find insulting.

It is a lesson learned, make no mistake I accept that, just sharing my experience.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
fucking ass hole businesses making money. those douche nozzles. i should stab them with spoons. fucking dumb making money businesses. not volunteer work tool boxes.

It's up to the consumer to be educated. Warranties are pure profit for the dealer so I'd try to make as much money as possible considering that everyone wants cars for free.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info